Chinese-Forums

BLCU, Beijing Language and Culture University, Housing Info, and more

amandagmu

Really useful information being spread around here! Though a wee bit outdated for me, I guess I jumped on the BLCU bandwagon a bit too late.

So in a nutshell, I'm from the Philippines and my Mandarin is slightly non-existent. I can only say Ni Hao :) I just recently got my acceptance packet from BLCU for a Short Term Intensive Course. Beijing will be my home for around 4 months and I need to find a decent place to live in for my stay.

I have a few questions hoping for anyone to shed light on them.

1.) Classes start on September! Will I have enough time to look for a place?

2.) Would you guys recommend the CC or Dorm 17?

3.) Any tips on how to look for decent apartments/hotels near BLCU?

4.) Any names of good places to stay in?

Any feedback would be great :)

Same here guys, any good info about looking for apartments near BLCU? Im also from the Philippines and I took the short term course and I'll be in Beijing for around 3-4 months (sept - dec). Even if i didnt get my acceptance letter/mail yet from BLCU, Im already looking for apartments in thebeijinger.com, hehehe im just excited to go to Beijing that I already feel that I got accepted. Anyways, what do you guys think of finding apartments in thebeijinger.com? Also, I dont really get the agent fee, is it like additional payment to the total monthly fee of the apartment? (e.g. 5000/month apartment + 500 agent fee = 5500 total for the first month, that right?) I'd love to hear more comments and tips from the people who already stayed in apartments near BLCU. Thanks! :)

The larger chain agencies normally charge you one month rent for agency fee. Smaller chains may charge half a month and some may charge by the room (maybe 500 a room, so a two bedroom=1000 fee). It is really up in the air with sometimes the landlord paying part of the fee. Always ask for a discount!

There are agencies on every block around BLCU, and when they show you an apartment normally it is available right then and there.

Hey everyone! I am a Greek girl and I am looking for a flatmate. The apartment is located in the Hua qing jia yuan area of Wudaokou (1’ from the subway and 15’ from BLCU). It is a modern, fully furnished, big apartment (110sqm), with a great view and wooden floor. It has 2 bedrooms, 1 big living room, 1 bathroom (with a shower and a Jacuzzi bathtub), 1 fully equipped kitchen, 3 A/C, 2 TV and DVD.

If you are interested in renting the 2nd bedroom (3300/month), you can call me at (0086) 15101160150.

Thanks! ;)

Hey guys

Heading to Beijijng for a full year starting the 6 th of September. run into some trouble though, had my bag stolen in spain with my passport (chinese visa inside) and all of my acceptance letters. sucks so much! anyways i have handed in my documents for a new passport and will send my passport back to Australia to get a new visa and then get it sent back. my question is will the copies of my acceptance letter etc etc be enough when i get to BLCU. i wont hve the originals, only the scans i made of documents before i left.

Is anyone else on this forum heading over for the full year? im thinking of arriving on the 25 of august, hopefully this is enough time to find an appartment etc before school starts.

one more thing, anyone know how much a 13 inch mac pro would cost over there?

peace........

After browsing through different apartment ads in thebeijinger.com, I noticed one important thing (well atleast important for me, hehe!), the apartment has a washing machine, but it has no dryer for clothes. Shouldn't the two (washing machine and dryer) be together always in an apartment? I am looking for a nice 2-bedroom apartment and I found some good ones but none of them has a dryer. What do you guys think about this?

I haven't seen an apartment that has a dryer. I looked at A LOT of apartments around BLCU but all only had a washing machine. You can always hang your clothes. They dry up rather quickly in Beijing, hot and dry during summer, cold but very dry during winter.

going to BLCU this september for a year, too! still no place to stay though, planning to stay at the BFSAC. tried to contact them, but no email was working. If anybody knows a working email, please post! :)

flying there on the 29th of august.

btw, i'm from the philippines too.

Hey everyone!

I'm going to study at BLCU for fall semester.I have a problem with housing.I called the dormitory,but they said,that everything is booked :mellow: ,so I thought maybe renting an apartment is a better idea.Is it possible to do it trough internet? Maybe there are some students who are thinking about renting too?

And I have a one more question.In case I can't find a place to stay for couple of days and I'm not staying at a hotel but like trough couchsurfing,do I need to go to police station to register?

Thank You :)

hey guys, i will be arriving Beijing on sept 7, my classes start sept 16 (sept16-dec8 short term schedule), is there any good hotel near blcu where i can stay for 9 days? its because im planning to move to the apartment on sept 16, so that i can stay for 3 months then leave on dec 16. any good suggestions? a good hotel with a reasonable price :)

Wow! Twenty-one pages regarding housing at BLCU. Apparently, I need to PDF these pages for in-flight reading during my trip to Beijing. =P

As this will be my first time in Beijing, I am not able to provide much information regarding housing or living there, but I want to thank those who do have experience and are willing to share it with us noobies. Thanks!

@Pascal Ma

I'm going to buy International SOS insurance: http://www.internationalsos.com/buymembership/

I've heard many good things about this insurance.

Accommodations

I don't know what the latest situation is concerning BLCU's Dorm 17 aka International Students House but for the 1 year I was in BLCU, it is always fully-booked come enrollment week. They tell people to come back after a week or two to check back for availability. They usually have a lot of rooms but most of them are reserved by various agencies.

As far as I know, the only sure way of a guaranteed reservation is if you paid the reservation fee of around 1800-2100RMB (with a photocopy of your passport/admission letter) which is equivalent of a month's rent. I don't know how they receive over-the-phone reservations but this is the only kind they can't turn down because you already paid a big amount of cash.

For those who doesn't have a place to stay yet, you don't have to worry, there are a lot of rooms for rent in and around the campus. Agents are sprawling near the south-west gate / hospital / dorm 17 area. These agents charge a commission of half a month's rent. If you don't like what they have, you can go to real estate agents around the school and around housing compounds, though most contracts are at least 5-6months. Or go online in Beijinger. There are also houses for rent across the school, inside the Geology University.

I spent 1 semester in Dorm 17 and 1 semester outside BLCU (private apartment) and I spent a lot time looking for a cheap but decent place outside the school. Ended up in Dong Wang Zhuang which is along Wang Zhuang Road near Xijiao Hotel. There are agents located inside the compound, building 26 I think.

For those who can afford to pay more than what Dorm 17 is charging, you can look at Fu Ron Jia Yuan (near East gate) or the highly-coveted Hua Qing Jia Yuan (beside the subway station). The apartments in Geology University's new buildings are also very very nice.

• New Members

My questions aren't about dorms, but I hope they can get answered all the same!

1) Can you do something like the USA where you major in one subject and minor in another? Example: Major in Chinese, minor in Intl. Business.

2) How/where do you get scholarships for the school?

3) Can you transfer over from a US university? Do two years in the US and two in China for a degree?

Thank you for your help. I'm trying to decide if I should do a short program or long program and these questions will factor into my decision. Thanks!