Chinese-Forums

BLCU, Beijing Language and Culture University, Housing Info, and more

amandagmu

• New Members

ACCOMODATIONS (APARTMENT SHARING)and X TYPE VISA

Hi All,

I'll be studying in BLCU come September and have yet to find a place to stay long term.

So far, the best reviews I've heard were of the studio rooms in the International Students' Center(ISC).www.iscbeijing.com.

Its a bit of a walk from the BLCU campus (15mins), but you also have the option of takng the bus. I'm also open to renting an apartment(individual or shared,own rooms), but would rather see the place first before booking/paying for anything online.

Would you know if agents and businesses in general are open on Sundays? I'll be arriving on the last weekend of August and would like to get the housing issue out of the way as soon as possible.

Meantime,I'll be staying at the Xijiao Hotel. I booked through an agent out of desperation,and was quoted a pretty hefty rate,(USD100++/night!!)so you guys might want to book directly in order to get a better deal. I hear it shouldn't cost more than USD45/night but had no idea how to contact the hotel directly,and did not want to risk having things lost in translation.

A friend recommended the Super 8 hotel as well. Nothing fancy but very comfortable and convenienty located near the school.My link

Lastly, I initially applied for two semesters at BLCU, and was issued an X type visa( long term, multiple entry). I understand that as soon as I have enrolled, and complied with other requirements, I will then be issued sort of like a residence permit that allows me to go in and out of the country for a year, correct? The thing is, I'm wary about enrolling for an entire year, and would prefer to try it out for one semester first. Will this forfeit my eligibility for the multiple entry long term permit?

Would greatly appreciate any feedback or references. Thank you so much =)

Best,

Trifina

If you need to book in Xijiao, book at Expedia.com, they have better rates than booking straight to the hotel.

100USD is extortion for Xijiao Hotel.

Hey, Im kinda having problems regarding apartments. It seems that most apartments near BLCU dont allow rent for less than 6 months. I will be studying in BLCU from September - December of 2010. When my friend called landlords in hua qing jia yuan, they all said that they dont want their apartments to be rented for less than 6 months. So right now I have no idea what to do, I do not know where I can stay for 3 months only. Any help or suggestions? :) Thank you

The minimum for apartments outside BLCU is 5months. (But some peg the minimum at 6)

The apartments/apartment rooms inside BLCU and inside the schools near BLCU allow durations of 1 semester (roughly 4 months).

Read my previous posts.

Seeking roommate for apartment close to BLCU:

Hi!

Me and another guy are looking for a roommate for a 3 bedroom-apartment only 2 min. walk from BLCU. It's 5000RMB so like 1500-2000 per bedroom! If you're interested please contact me as soon as possible by calling/sms +8618701382339 or on QQ 910216029

Elwin (from The Netherlands)

Called the conference center a few days ago and was told there were single rooms available and they seemed happy to book for me. Rang them today and they were fully booked along with building 17 (no surprises there). Seems to be the case that a lot of people just roll up on the day and scramble for a decent room. Correct me if im wrong.

Also, would be good to know if anyone is having issues with their visas (straying from the topic). Cant seem to get a multi entry visa as I applied for one semester (<6mths). Full intention to stay the full year but I was (mis)informed that I could only apply one semester at a time if I went for the intensive course option and therefore can only apply for a single entry visa.

Given the previous posts so far, I'm not sure that they are really full at all. Will waltz up and see on the day. Failing that Ill try the ISC although there are conflicting reviews on just how far they are. Will have to see on the day.

On the other hand, renting an apartment with others is another option but one I will explore when I get there.

I'm trying to find a cheap appartement for september not far from the university. I'm staying in Beijing for 6 months or maybe a year.

I want to live with someone who is willing to speak 90% of time CHINESE. I would prefer to live with japanese, korean or thai people. This is only an option.

I'm from Cambodia. My english is very bad (so I rather use chinese for communication).

Summary about me:

Pros: Calm, Determinate to learn languages, generous, helpful, not lazy

Cons: Can't cook, Snore very loudly(OUCH), clumsy.

PM me if there is a proposition (I hate talking in the phone, I rather use msg)

Hi greenarcher, you said that BLCU "tell people to come back after a week or two to check back for availability. They usually have a lot of rooms but most of them are reserved by various agencies."

Do you mean that if we stayed at a hostel for say a week or two then it's quite easy to get a 4-month stay at the conference centre or dorms that week or two into the semester start?

Are you also able to let me know how easy it is to find accommodation / apartments upon arrival? Is it easy enough to find people who want to share an apartment when I arrive say in the registration line (anyone here??)? I'm thinking I'll probably arrive maybe 13th or 14th Sept (school starts 16th Sept) and try to find something then. Is that too late? I'd prefer not to walk more than 15mins to get to BLCU, ideally not more than 5-10minutes because it'll be so cold! ;)

Which is one of the many reasons I still haven't decided whether to actually go ahead with this semester or apply for Spring instead. Does the cental heating in Beijing make the freezing cold winter bearable? Hot water, heaters, etc, make the experience ok (I'm a fan of heat / summer ;)

Thanks all!

Viv (Australia)

Hi guys,

Wondering whether anybody here has any experience with booking a room at the Conference Centre Hotel?

I've managed to get a friend to book a room for me there and I've been told just to arrive there and tell them my name and they should have my room. However, I've also heard that a lot of the times, these reservations are not honoured - you get there and they don't have your booking or they gave it to somebody else or whatever reason it's just not there! Like what was mentioned in the very first post on this message board string.

I have another opportunity right now to book an apartment somewhere else which is about 20minutes walk from the university but it is a guaranteed spot.

I'm not sure what I should do. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Viv

hi viv, did you get any advice abt ur situation?

my course starts Sept 16 as well, have not found a place to stay. checked everywhere, dorms 6 and 17, conference centre and isc are full apparently.. im not comfortable just winging it on the day i arrive though. not sure what to do!

hey midimidi, how did you know all those dorms u mentioned were full? did you call them? i think its better if you just inquire earlier (maybe a week before classes start). its because some people say that when u ask if there are rooms available, they always say its full. but when u ask them upfront, they will give u a room. :) thats what im planning to do

I'll be in Beijing on 3 September. I hope they dont tell me they dont have any room. What about the prices of houses around the school? Anyone has got any idea about it? Is there any website (except thebeijinger) where i can check the prices? Like for 3 people?