Chinese-Forums

BLCU, Beijing Language and Culture University, Housing Info, and more

amandagmu

Because it's the best and newest dorm out there. Beds are very hard though, they practically do not have cushion. It's the bed and a thin mattress.

hi guys ,

im new here in blcu

just came here last feb (4th week of feb to be exact)

so its all good here ,

the teacher , the people

is there any good bookstore near blcu / wudaokou where i can buy a few imported magazines ?

if not , where can i found them in beijing ?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm flying in about 3 weeks before term starts and am not very worried about finding housing although it is nerve wracking just showing up and hopping for the best.

Does anyone know if single rooms are available in dorm 17 or what some of the nicer buildings with single rooms would be? I only plan on staying for a bit while I find a roommate but while I adjust I think I'd like to have my own space.

• 4 weeks later...

I will also be attending BLCU from June 23rd. I have called the dorms several times and they keep telling me that it is all booked and to just show up and see if there are rooms available. I'm hoping I'll be able to stay at the dorms but also am considering staying at the hotel across the street, or finding apartments and the like in worst cases. Good luck to us!

• 1 month later...
is there any good bookstore near blcu / wudaokou where i can buy a few imported magazines ?

if not , where can i found them in beijing ?

The best bookstore for foreigners in Beijing is the Forgeign Language Bookstore in Wangfujin. There's nothing near BLCU that comes to mind, though you will find street carts selling a small selection of fake English books for around 10 RMB each. They normally offer some good titles too (whatever's popular in the market at that particular time) and worth having a look at if you pass one.

• New Members

Hi everyone..

I got accepted at BLCU and starting 8th sept, does anyone know if I need to book the dorms in advanced as I heard that they won't take your booking and ask you to just show up there. I'm scared what I arrive too late, will one week before starting be early enough?:S

@ scl_ly

As far as I understand, those who apply by themselves, have to book the dorms anyway beforehand. For more information see:

http://theblcublog.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-to-book-accommodation-at-blcu.html

http://theblcublog.blogspot.com/2011/06/no-accommodation-booked-at-blcu.html

I don't know what happens with the CSC scholarship grantees. Probably not, but I'm not sure. Waiting for the answer from the BLCU...

Good luck, see you there

UPD: CSC scholars shouldn't book the dorms, they just told me.

Ayanchin, thanks for the link - hope you found those posts useful!

scl-ly, one week early should be fine. Ten days would be ideal, but I wouldn't worry, I'm sure you'll get accommodation sorted. It's more for people that are arriving on the 8th or after that are really going to be in trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

Meh, Building One isn't bad, lived there for a year, the washrooms are squaters but are fine. The high floors are better than the low ones. You guys are mostly a bunch of complainers - seriously, Building 17 may look good, but it has awful plumbing and thin walls. Building four may look shabbier, but has better facilities, despite being older. All the glitz and varnish suckers so many people into paying more than they would in their respective home towns because they cannot just 入鄉隨俗。

Jon, were you also a scholar? Is it possible to upgrade from Building 1 to another building (preferably Building 4) and simply pay the difference? Also I'm confused. I am led to believe that the buildings are gender specific. Is there anyway you would know which ones are for male students? How's Building 7 and 8?

Generally they aren't gender specific except for a few female ones. There are way more males than females, and in general building one is more male than female, with one female floor, and one I believe "Married" floor. As for building 4 it is coed but females are put with females.

You can upgrade, and the choice is yours to do so for I believe 21rmb a day for scholarship students (me). By the way I am Canadian and am not some dirty pig, but if you keep yourself clean, building's 1 and 4 are as good as anything - the furniture in building one, for instance, is brand new, and there is going to be less of a fight over the washroom in the morning than in building 4, probably.

As for actual standards, they are roughly the same. It's just some of the new buildings, like things in general in Beijing were built in haste, and therefore have huge design flaws, like building 17, which has awful plumbing, and thin walls, and poor designs. Expect the toilets there to clog nonstop, and the showers and hotwater to have problems. Also, it is not cheap living, and one can live off campus nearby for cheaper, so dorm 17 is really kind of silly. If one is paying, one should try to find an off campus room nearby which is not hard in the first few weeks, especially if you are going to have roommates. The facilities in pretty much every room on campus are inflated in their price for what they are, except building one which is free for those who are covered, and is fine for what it is.

Thanks for clearing it up JonBl. Last questions though: I don't how to speak Chinese. How do I explain that I want to upgrade to another dorm? Should I arrive a week earlier just to try and reserve the room? The telegraphic transfer thing is so confusing I don't want to resort to it. Also, building 4 has private bathrooms, right?

@ JonBI

As far, as I understand, you were a CSC Scholar, and got the covered dorms, without bathroom in your room, right? Was it a room for two persons? How it was? Do you think that it is worth to pay these 21 RMB a day to improve the room or is it not bad at all?

Thank you very much :)

@JohnBI, the private toilets are squat ones, right? So it's not that much of a difference? Also, how many people share the showers at the buildings where scholarship students are put? Would I have to wait in line just to take a shower? I'm thinking about upgrading.

I was a CSC student, virtually all of them are put in Building one unless you are a female in which case you go into a female building with the same conditions. As for the showers and toilets, there are 3 toilets, 3 urinals, and in a different room 3 sinks and 3 showers. They have infinite hot water though occasionally it is turned off. They are squatters yes, but are cleaned every day and are in good working condition. The rooms are 2 a room, with pretty much the exact same stuff as building 4, minus the private washroom.

It all depends on what you think you want. I have no problem using local washrooms, since, to be honest, I do not use the washroom that much. IF you are a scholarship student and want a little bit of a nicer place, upgrade to 4

As for the rooms, if you are going to pay, unless it is the upgrade to 4, it is almost always more cost efficient and more for your buck to live off campus. They are anal on curfews and stuff in some of the buildings (not building one) and it is not worth dealing with the stupid people if you are paying cash.

As for not speaking Chinese, you'll find someone who can help you translate, I am sure, people are friendly in Beijing, especially people who want something from you.