Chinese-Forums

BLCU, Beijing Language and Culture University, Housing Info, and more

amandagmu

hi

im planning on staying at sac cause i cant find a convenient appartment to rent/share.

does somebody know how much they charge for a single room per night? im staying for 50 days.

or if anybody else who is going to study at blcu this summer is searching for an appartment to rent, or already has found on but still needs somebody to share the costs dont hesitate to contact me.

i'm 20 male easygoing austrian born chinese, no abnormal behaviour (as far as i can tell), tidy, wants to improve chinese but also enjoy the time since its holidays :wink:

going to study at blcu 13th july to 24th aug

greets xin

• 2 weeks later...

hi my name is maya and coming to blcu for one year in a month.

i was to told from the university that i can come 5 days ahead of school and will get a double room.

can anyone recommend me on the type of room i should inquire?

Hey guys..

Just wondering if the info that Amanda posted (very informative, btw, thanks very much!) applies for people who are there just for 4 weeks? I am going to be at the BLCU for 4 weeks beginning 3 August for the Mandarin course.. but I'm not sure if I should stay at the BLCU dorms or the hotel or whatnot. I'm willing to pay a bit more to get a nice decent a/c-ed room and whatever else.

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks.

Hey there.

Well, I've skimmed through this thread and it sure is helpful though I'm still a bit confused. I'm going to BLCU next month and I first of all don't have a place to stay at all. I'm thinking about booking a room at xijiao hotel for a couple of days and then try to get a place to stay. The only thing is that I don't speak more than two words in chinese and I don't know a single soul over there.

I see Amanda writing that you'll have to be able to communicate in chinese with them, either by yourself or through someone else. Now that's a bit of a problem since neither option is available at the moment. Lot of ppl are talking about the SAC and a few others but exactly how many of these student housings is there relativley close to BLCU? I'm trying to get my head into this and since the SAC so far is the only one with a webpage I'm starting to get pretty nervous.

Would someone just help me try to clear things up? Will I be able to book a room with an english speaking tounge? I probably will but just how good of a deal will I be able to get? How many housing options do I have that are worth the effort? What stupid mistake could I make when dealing with this? (yup, I'm pretty shaky but I hope that's human).

Hey there everyone!!

Has anybody recently tried telegrahic transfer of accomodation fees to their office such that they would allow you to reserve a room in advance? I'm currently in the process of doing this.....but not sure of its reliability - like, whether you actually get the room on arrival having paid one month of accom fees....and whether te entire process is a huge hassle....

would love to hear from anyone with any sort of advice....

cheers...

hey jaccck,

my friend and i tried the telegraphic transfer. I dont know how it worked out with others... but after the telegraphic transfer, you have to fax over the receipt to BLCU. in our case, we've faxed the thing twice, and the guy we spoke to at housing still never got it. apparently the whole school uses the one fax machine and he told us that perhaps one of the other teachers picked up his fax, or perhaps "we sent it wrong". so we have since given up, and the guy we spoke to at housing told us that we should just come and with proof of the receipt and he will give us a room from there. however, he cannot reserve a room without our fax ... and in my view, this whole thing was just a big hassle for nothing. maybe we were just having bad luck and it worked for other people, but almost everyone i spoke to at the school (including admissions) tells us to either just come in on the day of registration with the money, or come in with the receipt. They assured us that there would be rooms available. im just going to take their word for it since i dont really have any better ideas, and just work with it when i arrive next week.

so honestly if i were you, i wouldnt bother sending the money via t/t.

just my two cents,

Tiffany

Hey Tiffany!

Glad that somebody can enlighten me on the system!! Thanks for the very helpful info......guess the system is kinda messed up by the sound of it....hmm.....fingers crossed that we manage to get our rooms when we arrive....or else going thru the baffling process of finding a room in the summer heat won't be fun!!

cheers..

jack

Hey guys,

I just got confirmation that I'm enrolled in the 4-week summer course at the BLCU from 3-30 August. I asked about accommodation, and they said I could sort it out if I get there a couple days earlier.

But I really don't want to do this - I don't want to be in a place I've never been to before and where I hardly speak the language and not have a place to live. And.. I want a nice place to stay in, not some hole in the wall.

It seems from this thread that the BLCU dorms are okay - but not great.. I'm getting confused about the different buildings? The BLCU dorms are the Conference Centre buildings and there are how many?

And I'm looking into the XiJiao Hotel as well - because it seems nice - but does anyone know if there are huge differences between the buildings? The website seems to mention Buildings 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Anyone care to enlighten me?

It'd be great if someone could help me out with this.. Thanks!!

the conference center at BLCU and the BLCU dorms are not the same thing.

Conference center is a bit higher standard too a higher price, whuch leads to that it's packed with koreans and some westerners and almost no chinese ppl.

If u ask me I think all dorms at BLCU are overpriced and should be avoided. I payed less than 2000/month for my 150sqm 3bedroom apartment at WuDaouKou (split with two others) and I', planning to do the same this time around. Smaller apartments are of course, cheaper if u dont have anyone to share with. If u are staying for a shorter period it's trickier, but check thatsbj.com if anyone wants short time roomies or can sublet an apartment for a shorter period.

But you dont _need_ to have it all sorted out before you get here, there are several hostels for abput 100/night some even cheaper that you can stay in until you find something more permanent. One that I stayed at is located at wudaokou a couple of doors down from propaganda(club) and right between the import store and subway(sandwhiches) if remember correctly.

But I really don't want to do this - I don't want to be in a place I've never been to before and where I hardly speak the language and not have a place to live. And.. I want a nice place to stay in, not some hole in the wall.

How about booking a room in a hostel or something else cheap for a few days. That way you can stay there while you get your proper accommodation sorted, and if you get it sorted straight away you've not spent loads of money on the room because its cheap and only for a few days.

Of course, if you can't sort the proper accommodation within a few days that would be a problem, but that would be a problem anyway..

Cool, thanks for your advice guys.

I've spoken to my parents about it (since they're the ones funding this trip) and they thought that it would be best if I sorted out the accommodation before I left London and we looked at a bunch of websites explaining the different places and all that and I've ended up booking my stay at the XiJiao hotel in the number 2 building, which is apparently the smallest/cheapest rooms. So.. it's all pretty much booked now, omg countdown to Beijing! Eep.

Hey guys,

I´m flying to Beijing on the 20th of August (for a one year course) and still haven´t received an official answer from the accommodation office. A chinese friend of mine called building 17 and apparently there´s no problem and I will get a room as soon as I get there. But somehow I don´t believe the "no problem" thing. I have been thinking about booking a room at XiJiao hotel for the first two or three days while I start getting things sorted out. I looked on the internet and find that the prices are all a bit too high... does anyone now a better place, I mean, cheaper place to stay for the first days? I just want to know that I have a place to sleep after a 12 hours flight!

Thanx a lot and hope to meet you guys in less than a month!!!!!!!

I'd guess that as BLCU are putting you in student accommodation, and as you're going there to study, they will in fact house you as they say they will.

I know it's scary to go all that way, when you don't speak the language, but I doubt somewhere as famous as BLCU will get the accommodation wrong; especially as they probably make more profit from that than they do from the course itself!

Hi there!

I just received an answer from the Accommodation Office saying that I will have a double room when I get there. I will apparently have to choose the room or the dorm once there! They say it will be 65 Yuan/week, that´s why I´m asking you guys... can I get a room for that ridiculous price? Should I expect a "normal" room or something really dirty and smelly? or can I get building 17 or something similar for that price?

Well, I guess if I don´t like anything when I´m there, I can always go to one of the Hotels you guys mentioned in this forum...

THanks