Chinese-Forums

BLCU, Beijing Language and Culture University, Housing Info, and more

amandagmu

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone!

The post that Amanda wrote was really helpful.

I'm considering to live in the Beijing Foreign Student Activities Center (i'll be studying from march to july 2007), and I would like to know if anyone has recently been living there (since Amanda's post dates quite some time ago.)

Do you know if it is possible to book via Internet/Phone?

Can you arrange to get Internet service in your room?

How much did you pay for an over 2-month stay?

Thanks,

Kenneth ^_^

well

did u get the contact info?

I would love to share the contact info here,

however, I dont want BFSAC to get lots of spam emails.

So plz feel free to email me if u havent got their contact info.

I know their email address.

Mai

Do you know if it is possible to book via Internet/Phone?

Yes you can, if you send an email to the centre to helen then you should get a reply, but be aware this can take some time or you may get no reply... thats if she still works there, I was there in July and August 2006. Try this email address... postmaster@qmhjzx.com

Can you arrange to get Internet service in your room?

Yes you can again... I had it in there for about 2 months... it was pretty quick and pretty good, but it did go out once in a rather spectacular lightning storm... it cost about 150kuai by memory...

How much did you pay for an over 2-month stay?

I stayed for 2 months and paid 63 kuai a night in the old building (but I think they are all new now and that would cost 70 kuai...) I hear the rates go down if you rent for longer periods...

Hope that helps...

Hi everyone,

I've just received confirmation about my enrollment in the March mandarin course at BLCU and I'm working on my on-campus housing situation now. I was told only buildings 7, 12, and 13 are available. Does anyone know which is the best of these 3? My grandma, who lives in beijing, is going to pay for my housing this Friday and it'd be great if someone can provide any info. Thanks! :D

Hi Amanda,

Do you think it would be a problem if my girlfriend and I shared a room at the foreign students' facility you stayed at? If so, would the administration there accept that we were "just friends" or "room-mates", or are males and females segregated completely?

Thanks,

Benjamin

Hi everyone,

Great thread - thanks s much to Amanda for starting it! This question has probably already been answered but does anyone know if it is possible to just rock up at the Beijing Foreign Students Activities Centre and get a room? I'm a bit worried that I'll get there and they will be all booked out, especially since I'll be arriving on the 27th of Feb, just before the start of term. What have people's experiences of getting a room at the SAC been - could I just turn up and get a room or would you suggest that i try booking one in advance?

Thanks so much,

Liv :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey guys I will be arriving on Feb 19th. I will be staying for a few days @ Xijiao hotel until I can get my on campus dormitory issue resolved. I will be more than likely staying in building 12 as what I have been told by housing services department of BLCU. I've emailed xijiao hotel about trying to obtaina reservationt here but they still have not replied...it's making me irritated. Anyone else arrive on the 19th of February? Specifically I will arrive around 4 pm, so anyone around that time who wants to take a taxi together tot he BLCU campus let me know my msn name is jelmer@okstate.edu

and email is Phantim3dx@gmail.com

See you guys there!

you might have sorted this out, but i found the reservation form for xijiao hotel didnt work. it appears to, but when i didnt get a confirmation email or anything i rang them and they had no record of my reservation.

so anyone who used that for booking and hasnt had confirmation i suggest you ring, as you dont want to rock up on the day and have nowhere to sleep (not the end of the world but an un-necessary hassle)

jessitaylor THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! tried to do the same thing also. I will have to call them soemtime later today, when its morning on there end. I will be staying there 19th-24th, how about you?

Also I really don't speak chinese...hence I want to go to BLCU and study there for 1 yr. do they have anyone I can speak to in english?

Thanks again

Jay

i did it in english as its been ages since i last spoke chinese. they do have english speaking people but youll probably be transferred about 5 times between different people before you reach them! im arriving on the 23rd, and staying about a week until i sort out accommodation. ideally id like to rent an apartment but i reckon that'll take a while to arrange.

another thing, xijiao offered a whole bunch of different rooms in different buildings and prices but couldnt explain the difference between them which was a bit bizarre. good luck!

Hi Guys,

I've got just over a week before I go to Beijing and I'm starting to panic about the accomodation thing. To answer my own question, yes the ISC does get booked up, as I unpleasantly found out when I dithered too long. Now I'm trying to contact the dorms to book a bed there, because I'm really afraid that I'll arrive to find the dorms are booked out too, but whenever I ring the number I got off the BLCU website no one answers (aarg!).

Does anyone know an email to contact the BLCU dorms. The number I'm ringing is +86 10 8230 3300. That's the right number isn't it?

Any (speedy) help would be really appreciated,

Liv

beijing foreign student activities centre completely full, they emailed me a couple of days ago.so options are campus or apartment i suppose? im not very enthusiastic about living on campus but im fairly sure itll be full by the time i arrive anyway

Well well well, it is normal to feel a little nervous!

When i went for the 6 weeks course last summer to BLCU i arrived in Beijing with no where to stay ( silly me)

what this then involved was me going to everywhere around blcu ( my first time in BJ/China so a bit of an experiance, i was glad i paid attention during my mandarin classes)

trying to find some place to stay for just that night... Well arriving on a very hot day in mid june, carrying all my belongins on my back and just got of a flight from london, i can say it was not he best.

Somhow i managed not to panic , which is quite rare for me , but after being turned away from everywhere , such as blcu conference centre and xijiao (apparently they only had rooms for 1000 kuai a night??)

so i was starting to regret coming a couple of weeks before my course was to start, and did not know about getting a dorm? however i managed to find an internet cafe.

from here i was able to get the number for the international students centre thing in Erlizhuang. Managed to get some info out of them saying they had space ... which was amazng!!!

anyway i then had hte little problem of getting there! - as it happens i also found a random chinese person ( i rememerb something about a free bus from blcu to the ics centre ) and asked them where the busses were... and again a stroke of luck i saw a bus and it was going to isc ...

anyway after getting there i found out that it was cheap for a 3 month booking(which i did)

the (new) rooms are quite nice and the staff seem helpfully and some are very friendly!

oh the only problem with the isc last year was that they were demolishing part of the building , so i had the laudest building niose ever from 6 am till 8 pm ( chinese men breaking rock with other bits of rock) ... they were basically next to me and at one point i actually had cement in my room ( you have to see the funny side of it!)

well i hope to be back this summer, not quite sure yet !

x

I just reserved 3 nights at Xijiao binguan for 384 a night (single room = danren fang)

I called 00 86 010 62 32 22 88 and only had to give my name (no credit card number required). They first tried to give me the normal rate (480 RMB:( ) but I bargained asking for the "price for reservertion (yuding jia)" which is on their website (http://www.xijiao-hotel.com.cn/en/zxyd.htm for english, and http://www.xijiao-hotel.com.cn/zxyd.htm in Chinese):)

Hopefully I can manage a bit in Chinese which helped me a lot; but I guess they should be able to speak English

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I just joined this chinese-forum and find it very informative and helpful since I'm planning to do the 6 week program at BLCU in July. But from reading everyone's posts, I am quite worried about booking my accomodations. I find that I don't really know what I'm getting myself into, since the BLCU website is not that helpful! I have many questions regarding this trip, so any answers would be tremendous help to me!

1) When is the best time to book my room?

2) How do I book them?

3) Any good suggestions in where I should stay?

4) Do I pick the course when I arrive?

5) Upon arriving, do you find your own way to BLCU?

That's all the questions for now...! : )

Thank you,

Joan