Chinese-Forums

similar words I keep getting mixed up

TheWind

You want a good usage guide. I'm not sure what's available nowadays, but have a look at this page from this book - it takes words with similar meanings and highlights what makes them different. This looks like it should do the same for the new HSK, but not sure.

That said, what dictionary do you have currently? 

Just my opinion: most of the time, to be able to use a word, that word first needs to become part of your passive vocabulary. Only once it's firmly part of your passive vocabulary can it move into your active vocabulary where you will be able to use it confidently (or at all). 

As long as you know that 完全/全/全都/整个 all have something to do with whole/complete/all, then you are prepared to see them in context. If you don't see them frequently in the stuff at your level then they probably won't be a useful part of your active vocabulary yet. When you do see them enough to start to understand them, look them up in Pleco and find some example sentences to solidify things. 

That said, this book may also be worth taking a look at if you are interested in this kind of stuff: 

https://www.amazon.com/对外汉语教学语法释疑201例-彭小川,李守纪,王红/dp/B0011FAZOE

1 hour ago, roddy said:

That said, what dictionary do you have currently? 

I just use the pleco app. Which is good, but when I search up a word I get like at least 10 results.  First time I've seen or heard of a HSK vocab explanation book - sounds useful. 

36 minutes ago, markhavemann said:

If you don't see them frequently in the stuff at your level then they probably won't be a useful part of your active vocabulary yet.

Besides HSK materials what do you find useful to read that helps you retain similar level vocab? 

8 hours ago, TheWind said:

Besides HSK materials what do you find useful to read that helps you retain similar level vocab? 

I guess that depends on your level. Chinese seems to suffer a bit with quality materials at certain levels. 

My priority is always to be able to listen and read content at the same time. Reading or listening alone is fine but I've found that being able to do them together is way more useful. 

Probably the best thing would be ChinesePod (the stuff that was released for free in 2008, you should be able to find this on the interwebs, or PM me and I'll share what I have). Choose the level that you can approach without much difficultly. Skip all the discussions and just go through the dialogues en masse while reading along with the transcripts and looking up the words you don't know. Don't obsess over fully understanding any one lesson, the goal here is not mastering a single file but getting a grip on a particular level of vocabulary by seeing it used over and over in different ways. 

I'm guessing intermediate may be a good place for you to start (it has a great difficulty curve), but since I don't know your level I can't really say. By the time you've gotten through a single level I bet you will have begun to get a handle on the words you asked about, and probably a whole lot more. 

Other resources you could try: 

Mandarin Companion series - I tried a few a while ago and they seemed good. The real shame being that they don't have accompanying audio. http://mandarincompanion.com/

Graded Chinese Reader series - These do have audio, I've used them a little in the past and they are decent https://www.amazon.com/Graded-Chinese-Reader-500-Words/dp/7513803455

New Practical Chinese Reader - Skip all the extra junk and just read through the text while listening to the audio

Chinese Breeze - I haven't used these but they seem kind of popular.

Any other textbooks around the level that you can consume easily - Just skip all the grammar and explanations and go straight for the text content.