Chinese-Forums

汉字山:How many Chinese characters do you know?

murrayjames

9 hours ago, Tomsima said:

she claims she got lower because the test is kind of taiwan style usage...

Hahaha. Of course , of course, of course. 

No complaints here. I got 1200 on simplified and 800 for traditional. 

On 2/4/2019 at 3:16 AM, Publius said:

And here's a Chinese vocabulary size test that tests words rather than characters. Very challenging, even for native speakers.

This seems very flawed. I got a score of 1700 words, despite knowing somewhere between 6000 and 7000. Seems designed to test knowledge of 成语 specifically, then somehow map that to an estimate for overall vocabulary size, but it does a terrible job.

On 2/4/2019 at 6:38 AM, Publius said:

LOL I'm more satisfied with the English vocabulary test which says "On the basis of your results, we estimate you know 67% of the English words.... This is fairly high level for a native speaker." Yay!

http://vocabulary.ugent.be/wordtest/test

I got 76% in this haha. Your 67% is pretty impressive for a non-native speaker, well done.

Got 91% first time round, with one non-word, but then thought I should do it again only saying yes to words I felt I knew, rather than words I were sure were a word, even if I was unsure what they were, and got 87%, with no false positives. Words I did not know:

landgrave, cinquefoil, astrictive, aisled, emendate, adown, expostulatory, outpoll, grassplot

I said yes to 84% of the actual words and 3% of the nonwords. Feel like 100 words is too small a sample to say much about one's vocabulary though. As a non-native speaker, there were lots of words that I "knew" but wouldn't be able to define with much precision (certainly not the 3% that were nonwords? )

1 hour ago, roddy said:

Got 91% first time round, with one non-word, but then thought I should do it again only saying yes to words I felt I knew, rather than words I were sure were a word, even if I was unsure what they were, and got 87%, with no false positives.

Inspired by this, I took it a second time too - this time I got 86% with no false positives.

Unknown words:

checkrowed, asteriated, drumfire, throatlatch, gurnard, verso, decretory, anta, bluing, depressomotor

The FAQ suggests we should make it best of 10 ?

16 hours ago, Tomsima said:

i just took it and got 4500 

Just took the hanzishan test from the original test and got 4550. I specifically have a deck in anki which I have unsuspended known characters as I've progressed over the last five years. That deck is at 4330 recognised characters, so feel like these tests seem to be a pretty good measure

• Like 1

I got 6900 ±990 simplified and 6720 ±1100 traditional.

My issue with this test (and similar ones) is that the font size is too big. That combined with the fact that the characters are taken out of context makes them very hard to read. Had to hold my phone at arm's length and squint my eyes.

You don't test English vocabulary like this:

ABRACADABRA

Why keep doing this with Chinese characters?

• Like 2

Hey everyone! I’m the creator of hanzishan.com. 

I’m happy to see you are enjoying the test so far. Hanzishan is still a work in progress, so I am keen to improve it further.

The features I’m working on now are:

* Skritter integration - add missed characters to a Skritter vocab list

* Share results on social media (Twitter and Facebook)

I’m interested to hear your feedback, both positive and negative. Feel free to leave it here in the comments or send me a direct message. 

The skritter integration is taking more effort than I expected, so I’m curious to know if people here think they would actually use it?

All feedback is welcome :)

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

On 2/4/2019 at 5:30 PM, 艾墨本 said:

8300 Character would mean you know all character expected from a high school student.

That number is very wrong. Please read this thread: https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/55307-are-you-aware-of-the-8105-simplified-chinese-characters-of-the-prc/

The numbers quoted in the Zhihu link also don't add up.

Here's the numbers from 《小学语文教学大纲》

低年级

认识常用汉字1800个左右,其中1200个左右会写。掌握汉字的基本笔画、笔顺规则、间架结构和常用的偏旁部首。

中年级

认识常用汉字2500个左右。其中2000个左右会写,能理解在具体语言环境中的意思。

高年级

认识常用汉字3000个左右。其中2500个左右会写,并能在阅读和习作中正确地理解和运用。

and 《初中语文教学大纲》

在小学的基础上扩大识字量,认识3500个左右的常用字。

And here's the 《高中语文教学大纲》 where no specific number is mentioned (but given the limited study time, I seriously doubt it could exceed 6000).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Publius said:

My issue with this test (and similar ones) is that the font size is too big... Why keep doing this with Chinese characters?

Because foreigners find it hard to differentiate between similar Chinese characters when the font size is small.

4 hours ago, Publius said:

My issue with this test (and similar ones) is that the font size is too big.

Hah!  This was my thought too.  I was 4400 ± 800.

2 hours ago, murrayjames said:

Because foreigners find it hard to differentiate between similar Chinese characters when the font size is small.

Right, but surely there is a middle ground between readable and GIGANTIC

I agree re: font size. There were certain characters which are VERY common, everyday ones, that I had to think more than twice about because I thought maybe I was mistaken when looking at the enormous versions. It’s kind of mind boggling.

I would like to be able to choose font size for a test like this.

3 hours ago, Publius said:

And here's the 《高中语文教学大纲》 where no specific number is mentioned (but given the limited study time, I seriously doubt it could exceed 6000).

One of my chinese teachers once said, primary school students knew about 2,000 characters upon graduation, secondary school graduates knew about 4,000, and college graduates knew 6,000-8,000 depending on what they studied.

• Like 1