Chinese-Forums

English WinXP and non-unicode Chinese programs

HSC

I think most of us have had the problem where a Chinese Windows program does not display correctly under English Windows. I use Windows XP and know that one way to remedy this problem is to set the Language for non-Unicode programs option to Chinese (PRC) or Chinese (Taiwan), etc. under the Advanced tab of Regional and Language Options.

However, this has some adverse affects. While it is only supposed to set the code page for non-Unicode programs, some programs use this as a way to define regional options, such as how to display date, etc. (defeating the purpose of the Standards and Formats setting under the Regional Options tabs of the Regional and Language Options. One example is Microsoft Outlook, which will include your original message in replies with Chinese wording such as 发件人 and 收件人 instead of From and To. This would be ok if only all my recipients could read Chinese! It is amazing that Microsoft didn't use the settings of their own operating system the way they were meant to be used. :nono

Ok, so I found a Chinese program that would take care of this problem without having to change Windows' settings. This program is called Chinese Star (中文之星). It is actually a program that provides various types of input methods for Chinese, however it also fixes the problem with non-Unicode programs. The problem however is that this program doesn't seem to be stable (at least on my system) and causes the system to crash (blue screen of death and all).

Does anyone know of any other program that would fix this problem?

Oh, that's embarassing...

It was meant to point at the AppLocale as well. I installed that program, and so far had no problems with it (apart of the annoying dialogue box reminding me each time that it is only a temporary solution - where is the real one, then??? :help )

Gougou, 889,

Thanks! That works fine. CStar runs in the background and automatically "intercepts" the program and fixes it, but as it is not stable on my system, the MS AppLocale will do just fine.

I guess the temporary solution notice really means "everyone should be writing their apps with a Unicode interface so this is a temporary solution until everyone steps up and jumps on the bandwagon already!"

Thanks again.