Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
LawrenceHowell

Han Character Lexicography: What is the State of the Craft?

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

imron
2 hours ago, LawrenceHowell said:

So as to avoid creating linkspam, articles are named but not hotlinked.

Please feel free to edit the post to add the links.  No-one likes spammy links, but helpful/useful links are always welcome.  Admin do a pretty good job of weeding out posts full of spammy links.

Tomsima

Fantastic to have renowned scholars here weighing in on the state of research in this area. Thank you for sharing

• Like 3

LawrenceHowell

@imron: Thank you for the invitation to hotlink. Rather than edit my post, I'll do the linking here.

Ideographic Myth: Inconsistencies in the Critique

Ideographic Myth: Logical Weaknesses in John DeFrancis' Critique

The Phantom Category of Chinese Characters

Etymological Dictionary of Han/Chinese Characters Supplement Two: Sample Lineage Charts

Then, while I'm at it, also links to the

Etymological Dictionary of Han/Chinese Characters Supplement One: Mandarin (Standard Chinese) Redaction

as well as a document comparing the phonesthemic tendencies in Old Chinese identified by Schuessler with those identified in my own work:

Kanji Etymology and the ABC Etymological Dictionary of Old Chinese

Finally, my reply to Victor Mair's post

Phonosymbolism and Phonosemantics in Chinese

namely

Ideographic Myth: A Response to Victor Mair

I'll throw that link in here because of a remark in the Pleco dictionary post suggesting that some folks are still taking Mair's view uncritically. In a way, it's understandable because none of the contributors to the comments section of his post challenged Mair about his continuing advocacy of the logically unsustainable Ideographic Myth thesis of John DeFrancis. Gladly would I have done so, but as a condition for posting about my research, Mair had insisted that I absent myself from the comments section. That being the case, I uploaded my response elsewhere.

• Like 2