Chinese-Forums

Please help me identify this film!

teacherT

I teach a class in Chinese history and culture.  I watched a film last year that I thought was very interesting, but I can't remember the title.  It is about a young boy, around 10 or 11 years old, who is sent to stay with his grandfather while his parents go on a trip (which later turns out to be going into hiding for political reasons). Unbeknownst to them, the grandfather has died suddenly, leaving the boy to stay alone in his apartment.  He is befriended by an elderly Jewish man who was a friend of his grandfather, and the story follows their lives, including the boy's great interest in soccer.  Eventually the mother returns, but we learn that the father has been imprisoned or perhaps killed. 

It is a very moving and beautiful film, and I would like to find it for my students.

16 hours ago, teacherT said:

It is a very moving and beautiful film, and I would like to find it for my students.

Perhaps if could narrow down to the decade it was made, it would be easier to locate. Made in 1970s? 80's or something more recent?

Or a film that's much older?