Chinese-Forums

Chinese etymology in SmartHanzi

SmartHanzi

On 3/30/2022 at 9:23 PM, SmartHanzi said:

I do not know if it is clear, there are two Windows versions of SmartHanzi:

I should have known about the quirky Windows store! ---- I now have uninstalled the Store version of SmartHanzi, downloaded the latest (April'22) Windows version, and uninstalled a couple of old ones that were floating about in the system spreading confusion, and all the installation files old and new are saved in the cloud.

Now it's obvious, the iOS SmartHanzi app still lags behind the Windows app in terms of functionality. But it's getting there. The older iOS version tended to crash and freeze, this latest version seems perfectly stable and is very useful to have as a dedicated literary/classical Chinese reader. 

I don't know if I'm getting mixed up with another app, but was there an older version of SmartHanzi that converted simplified><traditional for the whole text with one click? The conversion tool on the latest apps converts the characters and words on the lists but not the text. Still a fantastic tool as it is, since the converted words list is next to the text anyway, but the 1-click conversion was magic. 

I'll be in touch by email with any error messages.

The full text conversion is still present:

- Toolbar buttons #15 & 16 (简, 繁) select the display mode for lists and for lookup details (right part).

- Toolbar buttons #4 & 5 from the right (same look with the '+' sign) convert the full text.

In version 2022.04.01 the magic is broken (the app crashes). I have just uploaded a fix: v2022.04.02

On 4/1/2022 at 3:20 AM, SmartHanzi said:

addressing the various distros

afaik, there are at least 3 solutions for that: flatpak, AppImages and snap. 

But I understand, even just supporting 1 additional platform is a lot of work, I will try playing around with wine and see if I can get it to work.

Yaokong, I do not know Linux very well. As far as I understand, it would not be just supporting 1 additional platform but multiple distros. This seems out of reach.

A useful post is "A developers guide to running WPF apps on Linux with .NET Core and Wine" at https://ccifra.github.io/PortingWPFAppsToLinux/Overview.html

SmartHanzi currently runs with Microsoft WPF over .NET Framework, which is not supposed to run on Linux with Wine. As is explained, Microsoft is now pushing .NET Core instead of .NET Framework. I am considering putting SmartHanzi in open source. It might make sense to re-write a clean version in .NET Core, with the additional benefit of running on Linux with Wine or similar systems.

• 3 months later...

Hi @SmartHanzi !

I noticed your 'SmartHanzi' App has just been updated in my iPad. I've only just started trying it, but it certainly is fast as lightning and runs smooth like satin. I very much like having all the dictionaries merged on a same page, and all the new information attached to the dictionary entries (the 'compounds' list, for example). The ui fits nicely with iPad Air in landscape orientation, and the fonts are very comfortable to read. One can have 2 apps side by side, it works fine with a browser, but it crashed badly when I tried the 微信读书 reader next to SmartHanzi - on hindsight, not surprising, the weixin reader seems to be a resource hogger and battery charge eater.

Fortunately, most of my e-book apps allow copying a block of text and pasting them elsewhere (like Pleco or SmartHanzi) - it's not so cumbersome as it sounds, much better than struggling to get useful information from Apple iPad's horrid  dictionaries. Smart Hanzi is faster to use than Pleco, it helps to keep one's focus on the reading.

Good work, merci beaucoup!

Note: Edited because just after posting the first edition of this, Smart Hanzi was cruelly crashed by the Weixin reader.

Hello @Luxi,

Thanks so much for your nice comments and your appreciation of the new release.

Just after posting the new version (2022.07), I found a bug causing a crash, this might also explain your problem. Please make sure you got the correction (2022.07.01). Emulating satin is not always as smooth as real satin.

Your comments about usage are especially helpful. They tend to suggest that a similar UI, with 2 apps side by side, would also make sense on the Windows and Mac versions. I shall have a look at that.

Enjoy!

Hi @Luxi,

Please let me know if you still have the kind of crash you described above. The bug in SmartHanzi and DDB Access is now fixed.
https://twitter.com/SmartHanzi/status/1547545374432411649

Making a smoother UI in the last version was a little difficult with changes at the very core of the app, hence this problem, but now it should work correctly side by side with any other reader or app.

• Like 1

Hi @SmartHanzi

I haven't had any problems but haven't tried again with the 2 apps running. I'll let you know if it crashes - the last update appeared yesterday, it's version 2022.07.01. As you probably know, iOS 16 is already waiting by the door, it may help or mess everything up - I wouldn't do too much work yet unless you already have the new upgrade.

Your idea for the Windows / Mac desktop app sounds great, is it possible? By the way, the April version of the app works very well in Windows 11 - which was the easiest and fastest Windows upgrade ever. All my old apps are compatible, though most PCs, even new ones, aren't...

Thank you @Luxi,

The feedback on new OS is always helpful. I usually have no major problem, but no, I can't check iOS 16 at the moment. The recent bug was just a "stupid" error of mine.

For Windows and Mac, I have to be careful, but at the moment I see not reason why it would not be possible.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2022 at 7:34 AM, SmartHanzi said:

The bug in SmartHanzi and DDB Access is now fixed.

It sure is. SmartHanzi had a week of intensive use as a reading app together with  微信读书 (Weixin dushu) both in the background and side-by-side, and not one crash. That's very good because I can keep the Weixin reader open on my book and use the SmartHanzi dictionary. This way I avoid wasting time with lousy Apple and Weixin dictionaries, and my reading minutes count for book page rewards in Weixin ?

Thanks for your update!

• 8 months later...

The Android version 2023.04 of SmartHanzi now works correctly in multi-window (split screen) and can be used on tablets side by side with another reader. Also with an improved user interface similar to SmartHanzi iOS.

Most versions of SmartHanzi now show a demo of DICTIONNAIRE CLASSIQUE DE LA LANGUE CHINOISE by Séraphin Couvreur S.J. (French). At the moment, see the Android version for direct access to 130+ characters with a significant number of examples (words and sentences).

• 6 months later...

SmartHanzi for iPhone/iPad and for macOS can now read texts or words with Chinese system voices: putonghua, Cantonese, etc.

- Download preferred voices through Settings > Accessibility > Spoken content

- Once a voice is downloaded, it can be selected directly within the app.

• Like 1