Chinese-Forums

What are the connotations of these Chinese names?

Meghan

• New Members

Hello! My name is Meghan, and I am planning on studying/working in China in the future. In my current Chinese classes in the US, I go by 何美安, but I'm considering whether I should go by a name that is a more direct transliteration of Meghan when I go to China. 

I was wondering what you all think of the connotations of these names:

-美安

-梅根

-美根

-美感

I'm also trying to figure out which one would fit me best. I'm interested in international diplomacy and China-US relations, which I think kinda fits 美安, and I also study environmental public health. I'm a very optimistic, friendly person if that is applicable. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, 梅根 is the standard transliteration, e.g. for Meghan Markle. But the situation is a bit different. Our client has a Chinese surname. 何梅根 doesn't sound like a Chinese name. Also three level tones in a row is not very pleasing to the ear.

I agree 何美安 sounds the best.

梅根 and 美根 are okay.

Just don't choose 美感. It's an existing word. A quite common one actually. Putting a 何 in front of it would make the full name sound like a rhetorical question. It negates any 美感 you could possibly have.

• Helpful 4

On 2/9/2019 at 4:49 PM, Meghan said:

I'm also trying to figure out which one would fit me best. I'm interested in international diplomacy and China-US relations, which I think kinda fits 美安, and I also study environmental public health. I'm a very optimistic, friendly person if that is applicable. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I don't think it's a good idea to go with 美安, because a company named "Market America" is translated to "美安" in Chinese. And that company doesn't have a good reputation among Chinese immigrants in North America, because its business model is called "multi level marketing". And most people would like to avoid a sales person from "美安". So if it's possible, I think it's better to avoid using "美安" as your name.

How about not sticking to the pronunciation of your original name? Many Chinese don't stick to the pronunciation of their original names when they choose English names. So maybe you can do the same thing so that you can have more choices?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Helpful 2