Chinese-Forums

Independent traveller for L visa

geniel 珍妮

Hi. I'm planning to travel independently to Beijing and zhangjiajie this may for almost 10 days. So I'm wondering if I need an invitation letter or not for applying L Visa.

As the visa site mentions:

L Visa

Documents showing the itinerary including air ticket booking record (round trip) and proof of a hotel reservation, etc. or an invitation letter issued by a relevant entity or individual in China. The invitation letter should contain:

;(1) Information on the applicant (full name, gender, date of birth, etc.)

;(2) Information on the planned visit (arrival and departure dates, place(s) to be visited, etc.)

;(3) Information on the inviting entity or individual (name, contact telephone number, address, official stamp, signature of the legal representative or the inviting individual)

This will be my second time going to China. The first time I went was with a study group tour in my university, and when I told them I will go by myself again, they said how will I get a visa without an invitation letter. Do i need to use a travel agent for applying visa?

I want to know if I need it or not before I book everything

It's very useful to know your nationality and where you'll be applying. In general, though, you will need tickets in and out of the Mainland, your itinerary, and hotel bookings (easily made online) for your stay. No invitation letter. No need to travel with a group. Some places may be fussier about the document requirements than others. (All this assumes you aren't going to Tibet.)

• Helpful 1

Agree with 889! As above, there could be variations depending on where you’re from and where you’re going (Tibet, Xinjiang) but otherwise no letter. I think you generally only need that if someone in China is inviting you (for business), you’re visiting Chinese family or you’re planning to stay with someone in their house.  

• Helpful 1

@889 I'm a Filipino citizen with Filipino passport and permanent residence card in canada. I'll be applying in Vancouver, Canada. When I went there to apply , they weren't as fussy, and they were direct to point out what I was missing and needed to hand in before submitting the documents. but I went there with the study tour coordinator at that time. 

Note also, from the horse's mouth

(4) Proof of legal residence status (applicable to those not applying for the visa in their country of citizenship)

If you are not applying for the visa in the country of your citizenship, you must provide the original and photocopy of your valid certificates or visa of residence, employment or student status provided by the relevant authorities of the country where you are currently staying.

• Like 2