Chinese-Forums

不每天学习了

Tony24

Hello everyone!

I need your help again, yesterday I was doing some exercises about modal 了, while doing them I came across this sentence : 现在我们不每天学习了。

I had no problem understanding its meaning, what puzzled me was the position of 不 in the sentence above.

Isn’t it supposed to go right before 学习?

Any help would be very appreciated! :)

Different meanings I assume

现在我们不每天 = now we don't study everyday day. (e.g only study Mon to Fri)

现在我们每天不  = now  everyday we don't study, i.e we don't study at all now.  

I am not convinced about the 了 It is probably optional here and I think it sounds better without it.

Wait for experts on here  to comment as I'm STILL  not entirely sure when you use the 了 It seems to come up far less in native material than in text books. 了 is like a polish or gloss on top of a sentence in many cases.

7 hours ago, Tony24 said:

what puzzled me was the position of 不 in the sentence above.

Isn’t it supposed to go right before 学习?

Who told you that?

不 is an adverb. It goes before the element it negates.

[不每天]学习 means "study" is not true for every day. You could go study, not study, study, study, not study, not study...

每天[不学习] means "not study" is true for every day. Your go not study, not study, not study, not study, not study...

In Chinese, the position of a negation word is fixed, and we don't have negative pronouns. That's why it's particularly hard for a Chinese person to understand partial negation in English such as:

All that glitters is not gold. 闪光的不都是金子。 (When Chinese negation rule is applied to English, it would mean 所有闪光的都不是金子, which is a false statement. To express the Bard's sentiment, the only acceptable word order in Chinese is "Not all that glitters is gold.")

Everything's not fine.  并非一切都好。 (To an inexperienced English learner from China, it means everything is wrong. Because in Chinese the correct word order is "Not everything is fine.")

• Helpful 3

49 minutes ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

I am not convinced about the 了 It is probably optional here and I think it sounds better without it.

It is not optional if you want to draw attention to the change of schedule, e.g. studying everyday before -> studying every other day now.