Chinese-Forums

Converting handwriting letters.

Alyem

On 2/12/2019 at 8:47 PM, Publius said:

(Trying to do genealogy without the ability to read? That's... tough. Google Translate is trained on modern Chinese corpus, not very good at handling this kind of text.)

Yes, I know...?

Ok next one..

Oh.. forgot to wish everyone who celebrate Chinese New Year >>> Gong Xi Fatt Chai

I'm not sure the OP appreciates the work involved here! Even for a learned native speaker, typing out and proofreading these is laborious and time-consuming.

That said, I think we all benefit from these transcriptions -- they are intrinsically interesting -- and owe Publius a good deal of gratitude.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 889 said:

That said, I think we all benefit from these transcriptions -- they are intrinsically interesting

They also make excellent study for people interested in learning to read Chinese handwriting.

@Alyem are you able to provide any background information on how you came in to possession of these letters?

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

7 minutes ago, imron said:

@Alyem are you able to provide any background information on how you came in to possession of these letters?

During the Chinese New Year, I took the opportunity to visit some of my related Uncle. 

I was working on our Genealogy list. And wanted more info on how close he was related to me. 

So he show me the letters which he still keeping it after his father passed away at the age of 100 in 2006.

So I scanned it make a copy again. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

I have a list of my Genealogy list written down by my father. It only list down our own line. 

From 1st generation to 20th generations now. 1400 - 2019.

But in between I'm missing from 8th - 14th Generation. 

So with those letter, I hope to find out some missing puzzles. 

I will try to find out where the address in 坪山 are. And will visit them. 

• Like 2