Chinese-Forums

Rixing Type Foundry - Taipei

amytheorangutan

Wow! haha I didn't even consider looking at the characters backwards duh! I wouldn't call myself a typography fan but I definitely appreciate good designs and generally just love old fashion techniques. Over 1 kg for 26 characters is pretty heavy especially since I will only carry a backpack ?May I know how much it was approximately for 1 kg? Have you been using them? 

• Like 1

Sorry I can't remember the price but it was probably about £1 per character.

I left Singapore in December and had to ruthlessly reduce a furnished apartment to 37 kg of luggage, so the type got donated to the college where I'd been working. 

As for backwards: I recommend taking a small mirror along!

• Like 2

As for your questions about getting something printed: their FB page says they usually reply to messages within a day, and has their phone number too, so probably worth getting in touch with them to ask before you arrive.

I really liked Taipei btw, hope you do too :)  April should be nice... I was there in August and got hit by a 台风.  Nothing serious but lots of museums and parks etc closed because of it, and the pavements were littered with bicycles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, amytheorangutan said:

I’m planning to get at least my Chinese name either in individual type or maybe get a stamp seal made but not sure what else.

At least get your chinese name in individual type. Cos then you can align it top to bottom, left to right or vice versa. My friend went there last year, so I had her get me my name. Looks cool. But I hardly get to use it... LOL.

So, don't go overboard in getting them.

They make nice presents, so consider getting them for close friends or family? Best get their Chinese names right first though.... LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mungouk said:

their FB page says they usually reply to messages within a day, and has their phone number too, so probably worth getting in touch with them to ask before you arrive.

I really liked Taipei btw, hope you do too :)  April should be nice

Thanks @mungouk I will contact them and ask them about their printing... I'm very excited about Taipei... my brother went last year and he said lots of good things about it. 

17 hours ago, agewisdom said:

At least get your chinese name in individual type. Cos then you can align it top to bottom, left to right or vice versa.

Thanks @agewisdom That is a great advice! Honestly I always go overboard with stationery. Japan was the worst, spent most of my time at stationery shops ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, amytheorangutan said:

Honestly I always go overboard with stationery. Japan was the worst, spent most of my time at stationery shops 

Oh dear... You're one of those... huh. There are actually a lot of fonts and sizes of Chinese characters. Though probably some aren't available for sale. I think it's best you budget more time at the foundry then. Between deciding on what characters to get, the type of font, the font sizes and whether to get a seal... Well, you'll probably have your hands full :P

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I forgot about this thread. I went to the shop and  was overwhelmed by the rows and rows of characters in different sizes and fonts. So in the end because I didn’t want to buy random stuff I’ll never use I just asked them to find the characters for my name and made it into a stamp. I think next time I’m in Taipei I will be a bit more strategic about it and think first what I want to do with it and have at least a rough idea. 

A3D248E5-94D4-495B-B6FF-255B981B394B.thumb.jpeg.ff2523f5c31d7993c06c43ad66aec587.jpeg84E651BA-E316-41E6-A082-02A3ABE8EC3D.thumb.jpeg.5b1a5e72260d60ab540ffc9b0a67f1a8.jpeg

5ABC9B52-C8AC-4988-ACA5-96F52A39AB8A.jpeg

2A5C2CA2-E06D-41B8-AFB3-4A0D35655054.jpeg

E507749C-DB95-4FA1-B951-C03402EC9637.jpeg

96808B38-811C-4139-93DF-6F2122539A88.jpeg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 889 said:

Usually the surname will print on the right in a seal.

Because of the right to left reading? I can swap it at home but thanks for that. I never thought about it that way ?