Chinese-Forums

Is this symbol correct?

porkbus

Roddy, I'm not sure what you mean here. That person seemed to want a tattoo that said "idiot" so I'm assuming you are only referring to his block font choice.

And it seems many of you have your preferences on font choices. While I appreciate the insight, this part of the conversation is really a matter of opinion. It is my fault for bringing up font at all. I thank you all for the insight you have given me in the translation and definition and I have new clarity on that aspect :)

On the matter of tattoos are forever and font choices, I'm ok :) I have plenty of tattoos and I know what I like. As it was stated, its a matter of taste and not all tastes are the same. For me, a tattoo is more for the individual and less for the public. So as long as I am honoring and researching the translation and meaning, I feel comfortable finding my own way with the design, execution, style, color, etc. I do need to remind myself that I came to a Chinese language forum and started a conversation about tattoos, though. So I understand the want to share information about the font choice. And while I actually like some of those in Shelley's link, I have a desired execution in mind, and I like the simple blocky font. It's a design choice because the execution is not just about the font alone. It's a consideration in combination of line weight, thickness, use of gradients, use of color, use of pointillism, use of negative space, etc. Back to my earlier comment about tattoos being design work, I know design that I like for myself. And I try to think about all aspects that are involved with the entire design and I want the font to compliment my other design choices rather than work against it. This is why I like the block font :)

If any of you have tattoos, you probably know that the look and style of a tattoo is generally something that one likes to figure out on their own or in combination with the artist executing the work. Not trying to sound retaliatory, just explaining my standpoint on the overall look. And if any of you are thinking about getting a tattoo (translations and meanings aside) get something that you like visually, and not what others like. On the matters of opinion and taste, you have your own, and I wouldn't attempt to convince you of following my own design choices and preferences. I don't intend to sound hostile here, that is not my goal. Just another explanation of my views on tattoos, the process, and finding what is right for oneself.

Thank you all yet again :) 

• Like 3

@porkbus, once again I appreciate you taking the time to show us that you have indeed given it thought, and that you have read all the advice and considered it before deciding against it. It is absolutely a matter of taste of course, and it is your body. Go and get exactly the tattoo you like. And show us a picture here when it's done!

I also think that if we'd known from the start you already have plenty of tattoos the reaction would have been a bit different. The bulk of our tattoo advice topics do seem to be people who haven't thought it through quite so well. 

Do post a pic when you've got it done. 

4 hours ago, Lu said:

And show us a picture here when it's done!

If you're doing stencils, please show us a picture before it's done.

5 hours ago, roddy said:

I was more reminiscing about forum history than anything else. 

If only we had as many people asking about joining the PLA as we did asking about tattoos.