Chinese-Forums

Pleco Flashcards or Lists for Dual Proununciation Characters and Similar Characters

agewisdom

Hi All,

After studying a bit, I realize that I'm facing some difficulties with the following types of characters:

1. Dual pronunciation characters - 多音字 (duō yīnzì)

2. Similar characters - 曰日田囙目臼白口

Are there any user list or custom flashcards created to cater for learning and reviewing these characters? I mean, I do come across a lot of these often in reviewing my HSK flashcards. But it would help if I could specifically review these characters in their own flashcard sets.

14 hours ago, agewisdom said:

Are there any user list or custom flashcards created to cater for learning and reviewing these characters?

There probably are, but according to this post it might not be a good idea.  @艾墨本 do you have links to any studies that back up that comment? (If I recall you were doing research on acquisition of Chinese as a second language or similar).

• Like 1

Just now, imron said:

There probably are, but according to this post it might not be a good idea.

I understand what the post is saying. It's best to learn all the different characters discreetly, whether similar or otherwise. Trying to learn all the similar characters from scratch would be counterproductive.

However, after having learnt all these similar characters for some time and soaking it in, I find there's still a tendency to get confused over some of them. So, I feel reviewing the (already learnt) similar characters side by side might prove to be productive.

I incorporate something similar into my anki decks. However I don't preempt  possible confusing characters. It's only after making many incorrect recalls on ANKI, do I alter the card to include its confusing character(s). Trying to preempt possible confusing characters will just open up a can of worms in my view and furthermore  what one considers confusing may not be for another. Also the work starts to grow exponentially (or factorially), trying to link all the combinations.

As an example I might have 曾 and 增 as one as both can be pronounced zēng.  Things like 白,百,日 I never had trouble with nor 已  and 己, However ones like with 农 and 衣 I did but mainly because in small text I didn't pay attention to it carefully. I constantly mix up the pronunciation of 觉 and 首 。 I have no idea why because they are totally different!

so in summary personally customizing a deck is useful I think

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 3:27 PM, agewisdom said:

Are there any user list or custom flashcards created to cater for learning and reviewing these characters?

There are 多音字 lists as part of the 普通话水平考试 (Which is the test for Chinese people to test their Chinese, if they want to be a TV presenter or elementary school teacher). Unfortunately I can't find a clean or complete list online, but here's an example of content. Some more searching might turn one up. 

I wouldn't recommend dumping all these into a flashcard list though. Many of these will be obscure, or the kind of thing native speakers get wrong. Learn them as they come up. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roddy said:

I wouldn't recommend dumping all these into a flashcard list though. Many of these will be obscure, or the kind of thing native speakers get wrong. Learn them as they come up. 

I understand the need to use with caution. I'm planning on mainly compiling those as I come across them in HSK lists. It can be somewhat perplexing, when the same character are pronounced differently in conjunction with other characters, which tends to throw one off the kilter. ?