Chinese-Forums

Making a Youtube Series about Chinese History

Timetrip

Hello everybody,

me and a few other people are making a Youtube series about Chinese history, in which we plan to cover all major periods and dynasties from the Neolithic to the present.

We have just uploaded a video about two ancient Chinese dynasties, the Shang and the Zhou.

The video gives you an overview about the most important and interesting aspects of thought, ideology, religion and culture of these dynasties. If you are interested in these topics, check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q92ThAoLb2M

(I hope it's ok that I share my video here since it is relevant to the topic of this group. If it's not ok, let me know and I will remove it. )

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: New video about the Spring and Autumn period and the Warrings States period.

I honestly think this might be the most interesting time in Chinese history. It was a period full of conflict, war, contradictions and radical changes.

Pretty much all of the philosophy, the social structure and the political culture that would shape China for two millennia originated in this period.

Why were texts like "The Art of War" written at that time?

Why did collective punishment become the norm and what did wandering swordsmen have to do with it?

Why did this chaotic and violent period have so many great philosophers? (Confucius, Mencius, Laozi, Xunzi, ect, etc.)

I talk about these and other questions in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6S6maOVjv8

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

New Episode: China's First Emperor, Qin Shi Huang - Good or Evil?

The First Emperor of China is one of the most interesting and controversial characters in history. The world-famous terra-cotta army is only one part of the necropolis built for him, and its greatest mystery, the tomb of the first Emperor, still remains unexcavated.

The First Emperor unified China in 221 BC for the first time as an Empire and though his Empire collapsed within 15 years, in many ways, it set the foundations for what China would be like for two milennia. Check out this episode to learn more about him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmf2WBYxYs4&t=6s

• 1 month later...

Chinese characters are arguably an important reason why China has been able to reunify much more often than Europe over the course of history.

In this video, I talk about this relationship between Chinese characters and Chinese history and also about why China hasn't abolished characters, not even in the 20th century, when Mao Zedong came to power.

Surprisingly, the last point may have to do with Stalin. No, this isn't conspiracy, just watch the video. 1f609.png?