Chinese-Forums

Running your own VPN worth it?

Manuel

Encrypted traffic sticks out like a sore thumb and is very easy for the Chinese government to detect. Though the use of VPNs etc has been outlawed in China, based on what I've read, the Chinese government pretend they don't know you are using one but they deliberately throttle your encrypted connection. I'm not sure what they gain from that, other than to waste everybody's time. If the data eventually gets through regardless, they might as well not bother with the throttling, no? But anyway, it's the Communist Party of China, so things are supposed to be stupid.

I'm just wondering if anyone here currently runs their own VPN off a cloud provider (e.g. BlueHost) and how well that works compared with the likes of ExpressVPN, and whether it's worth the hassle (if any) and the cost (if higher). I could be wrong but it occurred to me that, maybe, a VPN or proxy server used by a couple clients might go under the radar next to one used by potentially tens of thousands of clients. though, with it being an encrypted connection, the odds are high that it might still be throttled, if that's their default MO for all unidentified encrypted traffic; and of course, what works today doesn't necessarily work tomorrow—that's how things "work" in China. Oh boy do I hate having to deal with this nonsense...

4 hours ago, Manuel said:

I could be wrong but it occurred to me that, maybe, a VPN or proxy server used by a couple clients might go under the radar next to one used by potentially tens of thousands of clients.

If encrypted traffic sticks out like a sore thumb, then what does it matter about the destination of said traffic?  

49 minutes ago, vellocet said:

If encrypted traffic sticks out like a sore thumb, then what does it matter about the destination of said traffic?  

Because maybe they only throttle high traffic connections. I don't know. That's why I was asking, because if someone has already tried it only to find out it's all the same, then I don't need to bother with it.

If encrypted traffic sticks out like a sore thumb, then what does the volume of traffic matter?  It's going to stick out like a sore thumb no matter its destination. What you propose is known as "security through obscurity".  I kind of wonder if you know much about networking, but then again you're asking to create your own VPN.  I would advise asking on a technical forum, not one dedicated to the study of the Chinese language.