Chinese-Forums

Pleco SRS - keep card in review deck until guessed correctly

Balthazar

I recently decided to take up Imron's advice regarding learning new words from novels. Just started reading 活着, and I'm adding a maximum of 10 new words to my deck each day.

I've always been partial to Anki's flashcard system, since that's what I started with almost six years ago. However, since I'm using Pleco's reader to read the text, there's no way I'm going to bother with adding new words to an Anki deck manually every day when Pleco lets me add a word with a single tap.

So I've created a deck in Pleco. I add words to it. And I want to make sure that new words are actually learned (as in guessed right twice) the same day I first meet them in a review session.

In Anki, with the standard settings, new cards you get wrong will be kept in that day's study deck until you've guessed them right twice. "Learned" cards will be kept until you've guessed them right once. So if you get a card wrong, it will reappear again after x minutes. I would like Pleco to do this too. With the default settings that I'm currently using, the card will have been reviewed and finished for the day regardless of whether I've guessed it right or wrong. I don't think that's going to work for me. Today I got 8 our of the 10 new words incorrect and I can imagine the compounding effect a few weeks/months down the line.

I see that Pleco gives a whole bunch of customization options, which is great but frankly a bit overwhelming for a newbie such as myself. Any quick and dirty tips to get a Ankiesque review setup going?

• Good question! 1

Thanks for the thorough explanation! Seems like a smart system, I'll give it a try.

One thing though, how do you make Pleco add a new card to each of the profiles simultaneously? I know how to change my default deck so that I can add cards quickly by tapping "+", but I can't seem to find the option to set several default profiles.

I think it just adds them to each profile in the default deck automatically, and the separate scorefiles take care of handling scheduling for the same card in different profiles.

At least I don't think I configured anything extra to make this work.  It's just always worked like that.

Ok, it's been a while since I've actually looked at configuring this so the terminology I use in my head might not always be the terminology used by Pleco.

After a quick look, Pleco has 'Categories' which you can place cards in to when you press and hold '+'.  This is probably what you meant by 'deck' in your post above?

Then you can have different testing 'profiles' that run off specific or all 'categories'.  The test profiles are used to show different front/back cards, or to use different repetition methods or to use different scorefiles and so on.

Personally, I always just leave all cards as 'Uncategorized' and don't bother sorting them in to different categories - the less time spent on micromanaging decks and cards the better - and then each profile always tests from 'all categories'.

Then when time comes to 'delete my deck' I go to Flashcards -> Organize Cards, choose 'Uncategorized', select all and then press delete.  All my profiles still remain and I don't need to reconfigure them, they just no longer have any cards there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, imron said:

This is probably what you meant by 'deck' in your post above?

Yes. I'm still stuck with Anki terminology.

Now that I've understood the difference between a category and a profile, and have had the opportunity to sit down with your guidelines and my phone for a while, things all set up and ready to go.

Having navigated through some of the options, it doesn't seem to difficult to tweak the settings to something closer to the Anki standard. But I like your setup a lot (at least in theory, will report back after some months of actually trying it out) so I'll go with that for now. Thanks again.

• Like 1

I've been using this system for a couple of days now, and while I like the split between the three profiles, I am a bit annoyed that the pronounciation and revision profiles will test me on _all_ cards every day.

That is, even the cards I guessed right on the first attempt yesterday and the day before will still appear today.

Do I need to change something in the settings or will the algorithm work out a more suitable break period once I have guessed the cards right even more times? Again, coming from Anki, I'm used to a break of 3 days the first time I get a card right (unless it's a new card, in that case only 1 day) and thereafter even longer breaks until I get it wrong.

15 minutes ago, Balthazar said:

I am a bit annoyed that the pronounciation and revision profiles will test me on _all_ cards every day.

Mine doesn't do this.

7 minutes ago, mikelove said:

Set it to Spaced Repetition instead.

That's probably going to be the reason if it's not set.  I didn't mention this in the config above because I assumed it was the default.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mikelove said:

In New Test / Card Selection, is 'system' set to 'Random'? Set it to Spaced Repetition instead. You may also want to tweak the options in 'Scoring' to get the intervals you want. (100 points = 1 day, by default) 

It was indeed. Set it to "Repetition-spaced" now, that did the trick. Thanks!

• 1 year later...