Chinese-Forums

Will China Go To War With The U.S. Anytime Soon?

Pianote

Recently, I was talking to a fellow foreigner who is considering moving back to the United States because he no longer feels safe here in China. 

He says things have changed in the few years he's been here and due to the political climate we (U.S.) might go to war in the near future. 

What do you think?

What are other countries that hire English teachers in advance like China?

Thank you!

I hope you're not looking for something to worry about!

Under the present leadership structure, China and the US will not be drawn into military conflict. The system doesn't produce leaders primed to wage war.

Of course it's possible, but not likely, that somewhere down the long road a different more militaristic leadership might somehow emerge. But unless and until that happens, I think you can rest soundly in China.

• Like 1

There's an economic battle but other than that....

There are other countries that have a far greater of going to war than China and USA.

Some people just try to look for any excuse to play up fears.

• Like 1

I believe that will not happen. It is not in either country's interest to go to war with each other. In the mean time they will continue with their economic battles, posturing and saber rattling.

I think you have little if nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

War, no. But the situation in China can and does change, and I'd always suggest people have an alternative plan in mind. It doesn't even need to be anything political - the education authorities just raise minimum requirements for foreign teachers and suddenly you don't qualify. 

• Like 2

Open conflict does seem unlikely but it's hard to rule out a clash by proxy as happened when the US bombed the Chinese embassy during the Balkan wars. Remember that leading to a sticky situation for many foreigners working here, big crowd gathered outside where one of our American colleagues lived in Chengdu looking to cause mischief.

• 3 weeks later...
  • New Members

Well... Anyone who's interested in preserving the calm doesn't want to throw a rock in the pond, even as they stand around it with several groups behind them ready to push them into it. Because even though they've been handed the rock, which represents the preservation of overall panic, those who stand behind them, if they were to push them who hold the rock in, it would make a larger disruption, than if they'd simply throw rock into the pond. So, they choose to preserve the pond, and make less of a disturbance. However, that only lasts for a time. Though their concern for the fish is not in vain. And I thank them for keeping the calm, and I am sorry they were put in a position such as this. 

Benjamin Adam Altiery.

18 minutes ago, Shelley said:

I just reread the OP and it occurred to me if US and China went to war with each other what make them think it would be safer in US than in China?

Presumably first and foremost because in time of war it's safer for you if you are miles away in your own country than in the country you happen to be at war with, even (all things being equal) in the event of an intercontinental nuclear holocaust.

58 minutes ago, 889 said:

Japan or S Korea would hardly provide a haven, given the presence of US military bases there.

I was reading the question as being afraid to be an American in China if the two countries were to go to war. I think the likelihood of being arbitrarily detained, held hostage, or executed by China is considerably lower if one is not physically inside China's borders.

• Like 2