Chinese-Forums

Grammar in word/pdf of all HSK levels

Lena8

Well GrammarWiki is organised using CEFR levels, not HSK levels, which is presumably why the OP was asking.

If you follow the BLCUP "standard course" textbooks then they introduce the grammar points relevant to those levels.  In the contents page they show an overview of every chapter.

Example from HSK 4上 book (click/press to enlarge image):

94896031_Screenshot2019-03-07at14_39_04.thumb.png.f866b461bc2204eb55dde12df1579c9f.png

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

As I went through the HSK standard course Chinese book and other text books I made a excel  doc with all the grammar points. I them dumped them into an anki deck. Up to hsk 6 there are around 400 points but many are not actual grammar points, just language points. I.e the use of an adverb (especially at hsk6) . 

The actually act of writing them out really helped me and now I revise 25 points a day, so 8 days total to finish. As you can never fully absorb all meanings, such as 为,于 etc it's worth doing it regularly. 

further as you get better you start coming across wider uses of words you think you already knew e.g using 便 as an adverb similar to 就, or 中  (zhòng) as a verb。

Furthermore writing them out yourself allows you to write a very simple explanation that means something to you personally rather then rely on others explanation. However the allsetlearning explanations are excellent. Shame they don't cover the harder ones like 所. Even pleco doesn't offer much on this. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I actually picked up a book that had exactly this last week! It went from HSK1 to HSK6 and all the grammar points for each level. I can't remember the name right now, but I'll see if I can find it again sometime next week. However the reason I didn't get it is because it seemed a waste to buy a book with the grammar points from level 1-6 when I've already learnt the first 5 levels, so that begs the question as to what level you are. Surely if you are a beginner you don't need to worry about the higher level grammar points yet. If you're studying HSK 4-5 then you won't need the grammar points from the first few levels, so either way a structured text book like mungouk suggested is probably the best idea. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

10 hours ago, mungouk said:

Well GrammarWiki is organised using CEFR levels, not HSK levels, which is presumably why the OP was asking.

It does actually equate the A1 level with appropriate HSK 1-2 level and so on. So it should be useful enough.

I mainly mentioned the availability of the book because if you want it in print you should pay for it, the All set guys deserve every penny they make.

@Shelley I knew of the existence of this book, but the pity is that there is only one book for levels A1 and A2, which are just the levels that I have already mastered. I would really like AllSet to make books of more advanced levels (I would probably consider buying them). Anyway, thanks for the recommendation! I totally agree with you that "the Allset guys deserve every penny they make." :)

@mungouk I have seen that these books are often highly recommended, but I have never had the chance to see them inside. In your opinion, is the grammar explained clearly? Are they a good preparation for the HSK exams?

@DavyJonesLocker Writing all the grammar points out by myself is an good idea in order to learn them, but I personally prefer at this moment to have some professional written explanation as a basis for beginning and taking notes when needed depending on my comprehension of each grammar point.

@mackie1402 If you could find this book again and tell us what it's called, it would be great! I would say my level is close to HSK 3 (although I have not taken any exam yet). I think a book like the one you saw could be a good option to take into account, so I would really like to know what it is.

15 hours ago, Lena8 said:

I have seen that these books are often highly recommended, but I have never had the chance to see them inside. In your opinion, is the grammar explained clearly? Are they a good preparation for the HSK exams?

Well, they're written specifically for HSK preparation, so yes they are useful.  The textbook comes with an MP3 CD which you can use for listening/transcription practice (they speak pretty quickly), and there's an accompanying workbook, also with CD, that has mini-tests which are like mock HSK tests along with the answers.

In terms of the grammar explanation, I don't think they're great actually.  When introducing a new grammar point or structure they often present them only in examples, rather than saying what they mean, or even translating them in some cases.  I find this isn't really helpful, and actually I often look up on GrammarWiki for an alternative explanation, or occasionally I look at a grammar reference book I bought (also graded by level, but not referenced to either CEFR or HSK levels).

I also like the way the HSK Standard Course books introduce the vocabulary in chunks... for the HSK 4 books (2 volumes) there are about 30 new words in each chapter. So over 20 chapters in all you cover the 600 new words for HSK 4.  This makes learning much more manageable I find, and this is why I made some StickyStudy decks which reflect the 生词 in each chapter. 

Also, for what it's worth, my teacher is very experienced with teaching using these books and so she has a good idea of what to spend time on and what to skip.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 4:09 PM, DavyJonesLocker said:

As I went through the HSK standard course Chinese book and other text books I made a excel  doc with all the grammar points.

I'm very much in favour of this approach: making your own learning tools and materials. 

You can make them in exactly the format you want them, and working with the content also gives you a level of familiarity you wouldn't get just by downloading something made by someone else.

From a learning point of view, Constructionist (not to be confused with Constructivist) learning theory argues that creating "tangible", personally-meaningful objects helps with deep learning as you organise and make sense of the information yourself — a mini problem-based learning approach.  In an ideal world I'd like to see all learners able to build their own interactive learning apps but I won't digress into that soapbox... :)

• Like 2

@Shelley Oops, I didn't know there was also an intermediate level book. I remember searching for AllSet books a while ago and finding only the elementary level one. Guess I didn't search well enough. Thank you so much for the link!

@mungouk Thank you very much for the information on the HSK Standard Course books, it is very much appreciated. Regarding DavyJonesLocker's approach, I also agree, but preparing my own grammar for myself would take a long time, and I need material that I can already acquire and study during the time I'm commuting and the hours I have free. For that reason I was asking if there was anything I could download or buy. 

HSK语言点大纲解析与练习

I managed to get back to that bookshop. Here is the book I was talking about:

I don't know how accessible it is to get the book overseas, but if you're in China it's on Dangdang for 92rmb.

(Link is for convenience, but if links aren't allowed let me know.)

http://product.dangdang.com/25207294.html

WechatIMG869.jpeg

WechatIMG870.jpeg

WechatIMG871.jpeg

WechatIMG872.jpeg