Chinese-Forums

Chinese name ideas --Chinese/Indian name

rayne78

Hello,

My son is Chinese/Indian. His name is Tai Chawan.  I'd like his Chinese name to mean something like "great rays of the sun" so that it would be aligned with the meaning of his middle name. I wondered if Taiyang (sun) would be good boys name.

Note my husband uses a literal translation to his last name: 茶碗 on his business cards but this feels a bit long to me so maybe the surname would need to change to pair well with a first name. I'd appreciate any ideas for first and last name pairings. Thank you.

According to the book "Best Chinese Names" (Asiapac, Singapore), a name like Taiyang 太阳 would be too explicit.

And it lists characters 泰 and 台 as suitable for given names. 阳 is also a common component of given names for boys.

Have you thought about using his given name Tai as a Chinese surname and his last name Chawan as a Chinese given name?

The number of syllables sounds very Chinese to me...

You also said that your son is Chinese/Indian. Maybe you can find is a suitable last name from his Chinese ancestors, even if it means that his Chinese name won't sound like his foreign name "Tai Chawan".

• 6 months later...