Chinese-Forums

AntiMixUpTool for chinese

Philippe Plagnol

Hello Everybody :)

I prepared a file that helped me a lot during my studies of HSK4 and 5, I called it the AntiMixUp tool because it helps to see inside of the characters and to differentiate them

I think it can help a lot of people here !

HSK level is displayed for each character and I also added a "strength" of the element (S - strong, M - medium, W - Weak )

I'm of course opened to any suggestion of improvement ! Please tell me if there's a mistake :)

the tool is also online at this address, I update it quite often, you can also add your comments directly inside (easier)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wgc1dXNIgy1Xn_XFd6HMXnxwYeYfCUXu20W4UPkvUI4/edit?usp=sharing

Philippe

AntiMixUpTool_for_Chinese_20190318_v1.xlsx

• Helpful 1

Interesting idea and I think it definitely has potential to be useful. If you put this together from scratch by yourself it must have taken quite a lot of time!

My first thought is that it might be good to have an index on the first workbook of the file, so you can easily navigate to the component that you are looking for. Arranging the index by stroke order would probably be the most helpful way to lay things out. 

I am also not sure about what you mean by "strength" of the component? 

It might be useful to include some screenshots so people can see what it's about. I've included one: 

image.thumb.png.e429731925fed7f66ca293503b92df85.png

Hello,

yes it took me more than a year !

there's a group function on the sheet to avoid the double maintenance of an index (you can click on the 1 and 2 to open/close the groups)

image.png.28f6abb1c84b7ed3abd032e6d0d80d1f.png

about "strength" :

strong means that when you see the element in the character, then it takes the sound of this character

exemple

image.png.80b222d5a7dd91fe8fa7dd14e572f3c1.png

a weak element gives no clue about the way it must be pronounced

exemple :

image.thumb.png.2c4d8b12c66a0951985b873df561602b.png

strength is maybe not the best english word, do you have a better one ?

and yes, there's a problem of order of the elements,.. I understand what you say

I tried to group them as I can but it's more by the look than by a strict methodology (like the chinese dictionnary)

just because I don't know how to do

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the good work Phillipe, I'm sure it would be helpful for many.

One of the problems is that what is clear distinction to one is a source of confusion for another and vice versa

I use an anki deck for characters but have a field to include characters than I personally find confusing. Of course to others it might be clear as day.  

For example 莫,摸, 某, 谋, 模 , I constantly confuse. Maybe it's because they all (pinyin) start with 'm'

Hello ! 

So many people finally answered ! :)

@DonCachopo ok here is the google sheet link

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wgc1dXNIgy1Xn_XFd6HMXnxwYeYfCUXu20W4UPkvUI4/edit?usp=sharing

@DavyJonesLocker

yes indeed davy, the exemple that you mention is very confusing , that's why even if it's not the same radical, I placed them close to each other

if anything else to improve, just tell me :)

temp.PNG

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Thank you, yes I developed this during 3 years, I'm now at half of the hsk 6 workbook, so it contains almost every characters you can encounter

I use this file every time I read a text when I'm not sure about a character, I think the important thing for people with a bad memory like me to create relationship, and to be active in the learning by searching. So when I cannot recognise a character, I pick up a internal part and I start from this to look for the unknown character

I will continue to update is, to add other characters if I find new one, but mainly to optimise the sorting

Philippe

There used to be an interactive website that collected (crowd-sourced) learners' commonly-confused Hanzi and allowed you to browse and search the clusters, but it seems it's floating dead in the water right now.

https://horizontalhanzi.com/

As @DavyJonesLocker pointed out, not everyone will be confused by the same characters in the same way... Is there also any kind of objective measure of the similarity of characters I wonder?

the column J is the subjective part, it's my personal confusion, so It can be removed, I will maybe directly remove if in the next versions,...

image.png.ff5a0ab390e05dd7a57b522e6640b837.png

For the rest it's ordered by similarities in the shape and consultants,. also by sound,..

It's far to be perfect, but most of the file is convenient to use, especially when I remember an internal element and try to find from it the character,..

if I take the example of  @DavyJonesLocker   莫,摸, 某, 谋, 模 , it's indeed very similar and you will find her the difference :

image.thumb.png.35fe811ee2202d367c6a08ea3a8f0855.png