Chinese-Forums

Learning Vocabulary strategy - different voice input

Flickserve

I was doing some browsing over the internet and came across an thread over at language learner forum. 

In it, there was a quote from about vocabulary acquisition of a set of unknown words. The acquisition is much faster if you have different voices saying the same words as opposed to one person speaking the vocabulary the total same number of times.

I found that quite interesting because i have been playing with glossika and they have introduced some sentences with a male speaker and the variety definitely makes it more interesting.

I recall a previous forum member, tamu, who wrote some awesome posts about learning chinese in Taiwan. I particularly remember he/she would get multiple different tutors to run through some vocabulary and tamu would have to try and recall the word. I guess if you are doing that with three for four different people, it would stick better than perhaps practicising with only one person.

In another way, could this be a major component for the argument for extensive listening where you listen to different voices and try to make some head or tail of the sounds coming in? Temptingly, this could lead to a reduction of time for extensive listening if you were targeting certain vocabulary.

I used to purposefully distort audio to achieve a similar effect.

If you want to get exposure to a broad range of accents, you will probably like this resource - unfortunately, they used to have transcripts for all the interviews in Simplified, Traditional, pinyin and an English translation, but those no longer seem to be available.

• Like 2