Chinese-Forums

Cant access some public wifi

Pengyou

I have a lenovo notebook that I bought in China, although I put an English version of windows 10 on it. there are times when I am out that I cannot get online in some wifi. I have no trouble with my android phone in the same location. with my notebook, I choose the right access point, enter the password and everything seems to be ok. What is supposed to happen after that is that my browser is supposed to open, ask me for my phone number. send me s code, I enter the code and then its happy surfing. Sometimes the browser thing never happens. Any clues?

I'm 100% sure it has nothing to do with where you bought your laptop. 

To my knowledge, connecting to a Wifi network on your computer will never cause your browser to open (if it did you should probably be concerned). Try opening your browser and navigating to any web page, it doesn't matter what (Bing, Google etc..). 

At this point their router will probably redirect you to the page that will allow you to input your phone number and do whatever it is you need to do to actually access the internet.

Cellphones are nice like that. They will open a browser page and go to the right page automatically for you when connect to some networks that have these weird sign up type pages (I don't know if they detect it or the network is specially set up in some way to trigger it). I've never known a computer to do it though. 

Oh, and what about DNS? I seem to remember that causing me issues in the past, do you have specific DNS servers set? Any adblockers that might prevent a redirection? 

On 3/19/2019 at 1:22 PM, markhavemann said:

To my knowledge, connecting to a Wifi network on your computer will never cause your browser to open

I can't confirm, but I think it's possible to have a device set up so that if it connects to a wifi network and detects that a further browser-based log-in is required, it automatically opens the browser. 

On 3/20/2019 at 11:13 PM, roddy said:

I can't confirm, but I think it's possible to have a device set up so that if it connects to a wifi network and detects that a further browser-based log-in is required, it automatically opens the browser. 

Look's like you are right and it seems to be a windows 10 thing. 

On 3/20/2019 at 10:33 AM, Pengyou said:

My wifi is enabled. I can connect to to router but. not to the internet

One thing that has worked for me once or twice in the past when I wouldn't get redirected automatically from web pages is to find out the router's IP address and navigate to that in my browser. Sometimes it just takes you to the router's admin page (not helpful), but other times it will redirect to the authentication page (I guess it depends on how they have set things up). 

To get the router's IP press Windows Key+R, type "run" then type "cmd", then when the comman prompt opens "ipconfig", find your wireless adapter in the output and see where it says "default gateway", use the IP address next to it (often 10.0.0.1, 192.168.0.1 or something like that) and navigate to it in your browser. 

That's worked once or twice for me on some public Wifi's when I had the same problem as you. 

• Helpful 1

• 2 months later...