Chinese-Forums

More great audio - aiming to teach perfect Mandarin

Luxi

On 3/19/2019 at 10:51 PM, Luxi said:

小学语文示范诵读库

@Luxi -- I'm having trouble navigating to any of the actual readings. I keep getting back to introductory videos giving overviews about the project when I search that phrase. Do you have some direct links to the readings. (I've probably just missed them.) Might add that I'm more interested in the 中学 ones than the 小学 ones. Thanks! 

--------------------------- 

Edited to Add: Sorry, I just now gained traction, found readings here: https://www.ximalaya.com/jiaoyu/17003729/ 

---------------------------

I had a teacher several years ago who gave me lots of this kind of exercises, in which she wanted me to "'overdo" the correct pronunciation on purpose, sometimes practice declaiming like an orator or "projecting" like an old-time stage actor. She said it would spill over into more normal daily conversation. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, abcdefg said:

I'm having trouble navigating

True, too many links. I now added a direct link to the actual audios.

7 hours ago, abcdefg said:

sometimes practice declaiming like an orator

Reading aloud is part of the school curriculum in China (there'd be riots if it was introduced in British schools). I believe it's a relatively recent thing, which may explain the proliferation of 'reading aloud' and elocution practice podcasts - fast becoming my favourite listening and speaking practice sources. These recordings are especially good, very professional (though I heard 1 or 2 voices that are surprisingly grating) and I like having the transcript handy to check the new or forgotten words. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luxi said:

I believe it's a relatively recent thing

It was popular 20 years ago when I first went to China - students walking around reciting passages from their textbooks or other sources.  Not sure if that counts as 'recent' or not.

2 hours ago, Luxi said:

Reading aloud is part of the school curriculum in China (there'd be riots if it was introduced in British schools). I believe it's a relatively recent thing,

we certainly had to do it when I was in school but that was a while ago and included a lot of poetry and bible passages!

I don't miss it and never understood the point of it tbh

On 3/21/2019 at 10:33 AM, Luxi said:

I believe it's a relatively recent thing

The 千字文 and other related 啓蒙學 classics were all composed for oral recitation. Reading out loud must surely be the most traditional form of learning in Chinese education?

@Tomsima and everybody else who wonders, I was quickly replying to @abcdefg's comment: 

sometimes practice declaiming like an orator or "projecting" like an old-time stage actor.

as I was about to leave to catch a train, I used 'reading aloud' hurriedly, I should have used declamation. It's more than reading nicely.

I must confess that I don't know exactly what, where and when was introduced into the school curriculum, because the idea came from a mention I saw incidentally when searching for articles about language standardisation, and I forgot to go back and check that incidental  reference. 

The clauses, from a document issued in 08/2016 by the Language, Literature and Writing Working Committee (教部  国家语言文字工作委员会)  in response to the 13th Five-year Plan Development goals for language standardisation, may explain what I was trying to refer to

http://www.moe.gov.cn/srcsite/A18/s3127/s7072/201609/t20160913_281022.html

3. 强化学校语言文字教育。坚持把学校作为国家通用语言文字推行普及的主阵地和主渠道。将语言文字要求纳入学校、教师、学生管理和教育教学的各个环节,构建适合大中小学生身心发展和道德养成、符合社会主义核心价值观的语言文字教育课程和活动体系。加强语言文字示范校和书写特色校建设。注重幼儿园教育中阅读兴趣的培养,使孩子学会倾听并能用普通话进行基本交流。加强中小学普通话口语、规范汉字书写、阅读写作及语言文字规范标准等方面的教育教学,提高中小学生国家通用语言文字听说读写能力。推动中等职业学校和高等学校科学设置语言文字相关课程,以提高语文鉴赏能力、口语和书面表达能力为重点,全面提高学生语文素养和语言文字应用能力。强调教师表率作用,在教育教学过程中坚持使用普通话,正确使用规范汉字,努力提高传统文化素养和语言文字应用综合能力。

11. 推进中华优秀语言文化传承发展。树立和增强高度的文化自觉和文化自信,充分发挥语言文字在传承和弘扬中华优秀传统文化、革命文化和社会主义先进文化中的重要作用。强化学校语言文化传承功能,推进各级各类学校开展中华经典诵写讲行动,加强中小学古典诗文教育教学。推动中华经典诵读、书写、讲解等文化实践活动入社区、下基层、进部队。支持开展对吟诵的研究、抢救保护和传承工作。开展当代语言文化研究,促进语言文化健康发展。完善国民语言教育大纲,推动开展国民语言教育。