Chinese-Forums

Apps to assess pronunciation

Jan Finster

I wonder if there are any good apps that assess your pronunciation?

I know Praat or similar vocal pitch display tools, but they are not really useful to assess whole sentences automatically.

I saw ChineseSkill has an vocabulary test function that gives you a score for your pronunciation, but this is only for the few words they have in their program. I cannot use it for the flashcards I am studying.

Is there anything better? 

If there isn't why is it so hard to program this?

Is the microphone feature on google translator useful at all? Most of the time google seems to understand my Mandarin. Does that mean anything at all?

• Good question! 1

What was that app posted recently where you submit samples of your speech to a native speaker? That might be useful.

But as for automatic assessment - I haven't seen anything yet. I've also seen voice-recognition on learning apps (Babbel, specificially) accept pronunciations that I know I've got wrong. The tech just isn't there yet, I think. 

• Like 1

I would also like to suggest HelloChinese. This is a very good app for learning Chinese anyway, but also has pronunciation section. You can't use it for your flashcards but there are a lot of words in each level.

It is free with some premium features that are not really needed for the basic lessons, but if you like it you can buy the extras. 

I think its probably worth you having a look here http://www.hellochinese.cc/

Hope this helps.