Chinese-Forums

Chinese Game Review: Unheard 疑案追声

StChris

spacer.png

Platform(s): PC 

Where to buy: Steam

Release Date: 29th March  2019

Languages: English and Simplified Chinese (audio available for both)

Trailer

Synopsis

What if you could hear every word spoken at the scene of a crime? “Acoustic Detectives” wanted for testing our new device! Return aurally to crime scenes and use the voices you hear to identify potential suspects and solve the mysteries. What is it that’s connecting these seemingly unrelated cases?

spacer.png

Review

This game has a very interesting concept in that it's a mystery game based almost completely around listening. In each case you have two goals: through listening only, correctly identify the identity of all the speakers involved in the situation, and correctly answer the questions it poses to you. You move around listening to the various conversations and such occuring as the situation progresses, trying to use what you hear to figure out the whole story.

spacer.png

Usefulness for learning Chinese

As it's by a Chinese dev studio, it has very high quality Chinese voice acting with a variety of accents and characterization, and, as almost everything is based on listening it makes it a very fun way to practice listening comprehension. There's no transcript and the conversations don't have any subtitles, so it's not going to be very good for learning new words, but it's a very neat way to test yourself and try to solve the puzzle it sets out. You can playback the audio as many times as you like, as well as skip the time forward or backward as much as needed. Things which were hard to understand for me the first time I listened to it became much more clear on repeated listening, especially after listening to the other related dialogues and gaining more information.

It also has an English localization and full English voice acting that you can fall back on if you get completely stuck (which could happen if you misunderstand or completely don't understand a critical line- this was an issue for me in the 2nd level). It's not a long game (with 5 levels only) and won't have much replay value unless you want to use it as listening practice, so I would suggest not to brute force it and take your time to figure out things slowly.

It's available on Steam, and if you want to get an idea for what the language level is like, see if you can find a Chinese stream of it.

Many thanks to @Leirosa for the review.

• Like 1

I just checked out Rimworld on Steam. It does have a Chinese version, so if you're willing to sink another few hours into it then...

It does look like one of those dangerously addictive games though, and there doesn't seem to be too much reading or listening involved. I saw this review on steam:

一转眼这游戏杀了我上千时间了!不给好评不是人!

The guy has 1,254 hours on record!