Chinese-Forums

VPN for Netflix

marcop1

I tried Netflix for a month in China, but it was never stable with VPN. Most didn't work with Netflix, and the only one that did (Express VPN) couldn't stream high quality. 

Now I just use 人人视频. It's a Chinese TV app which has a huge selection of western TV shows. I've just finished watching all of Shameless US, but it's got plenty more including Stranger Things, Game of Thrones, Big Bang Theory (all original versions and not cut or censored) etc. Plus it's great if you're watching with Chinese friends as they all have Chinese subtitles.

• Like 3

Now I just use 人人视频. It's a Chinese TV app which has a huge selection of western TV shows. 

Thanks @mackie1402-- 

Does 人人视频 work on a windows laptop or is it only for use on a mobile phone? Looks like one needs to download the app. Searching it on Baidu takes me to several multi-function download sites. Where do you recommend for a clean install?

• Good question! 1

6 minutes ago, mackie1402 said:

, Game of Thrones, Big Bang Theory (all original versions and not cut or censored) etc

Thanks for the name. Great that they are not cut. I'm surprised they can get away with that. However if you start cutting scenes from GoT the episode wounds be 20 mins long.

I watch movies, TV shows with my gf on iqyi etc but the cutting of scenes started to annoy me especially with some series, movies when it is necessary addition to the  theme and emotion of the plot. Ended up downloading then and finding subs online

2 hours ago, abcdefg said:

Does 人人视频 work on a windows laptop or is it only for use on a mobile phone?

It's a phone app, but you can download to the app. Android phones are easier to use. I download all the shows I want to watch on the app, then I got to my file manager on my phone (android), go to RRJM, Downloads, and there are a bunch of folders with all of your episodes in mp4 format! 

If you have a smart TV you can set your wifi and the TVs wifi to the same, then play it from your phone onto the TV. 

2 hours ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

Thanks for the name. Great that they are not cut. I'm surprised they can get away with that. However if you start cutting scenes from GoT the episode wounds be 20 mins long.

Yeah I couldn't believe it when I found the full versions of GoT. My wife's wanted to watch it, but without decent Chinese subtitles it's just pretty complex for a non native speaker to understand. 

The app itself has its ups and downs. Sometimes TV shows go missing for about 3-4 weeks, then suddenly come back again. I started watching Shameless, then had to wait a few weeks before it was available again. Once it was available I just downloaded every single season on the app so I could watch it offline. 

34 minutes ago, mungouk said:

Whenever I tried to use my Singapore Netflix subscription with a VPN to access shows in other countries, it detected the VPN and refused to show me anything.

I had that with nearly every VPN I tried. Then I finally took the plunge and got Express VPN and it worked. It didn't work 100% of the time, but perhaps 80%. The same with 4OD (UK channel online). Most other VPNs said they were connected to a UK server, but I still couldn't watch 4OD online, the website just said I wasn't in the UK. But with Express it works nearly 100% of the time. Only downside is it isn't cheap compared to other VPNs!

• Like 3

@mackie1402 I've been using ibVPN for about 6-7 years, and generally not had any trouble watching Channel 4 .  

BBC iPlayer on the other hand is a constant game of cat-and-mouse, as they keep blocking the servers and then they get new IP addresses for them.

I also used ExpressVPN in PRC last year... I should subscribe again as I'll be there long-term soon, all being well, and it's good to have a back-up.

Btw... not entirely on-topic, but I recently had recommended to me an APP called 人人词典 which has a dictionary combined with a huge database of video content indexed by keywords in their subtitles... colleagues I know use it when finding content for English learners in China, but it could be useful for those looking for certain content maybe?   I've not looked at it properly myself yet but there could be some interesting uses.

59 minutes ago, mungouk said:

I also used ExpressVPN in PRC last year... I should subscribe again as I'll be there long-term soon, all being well, and it's good to have a back-up.

Just be aware that your cannot access BBC iPlayer nor national lottery etc with ExpressVPN now even if set to UK server. A bit annoying tbh as I am missing my weekly "yelling at the TV " Question Time TV Slot  ?

(Probably a good thing!)

1 hour ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

cannot access BBC iPlayer nor national lottery etc with ExpressVPN now even if set to UK server.

Doesn't this change over time?  i.e. once the BBC starts blocking the servers the provider changes their IP addresses, and it works again for a while, until they track them down and block them again etc?   (and repeat)

This has certainly been the case for a few years with ibVPN. 

2 minutes ago, mungouk said:

Doesn't this change over time?  i.e. once the BBC starts blocking the servers the provider changes their IP addresses, and it works again for a while, until they track them down and block them again etc?   (and repeat)

I am hoping so! But I haven't been able to use Iplayer in a few months i think. Also I can't log on to the National Lottery website either

I watched one season of edited GOT on Chinese TV. It actually wasn’t that bad as it wasn’t season 1 or 2 (most nudity). They mostly cut sex or the most graphic violence. General sword fighting/killing isn’t cut. 

I always found it interesting in general on Chinese TV that I can watch a beheading (or something equally graphic) but boobs/cleavage or many sex related scenes are off limits. 

Then it also seems massively inconsistent. For instance, rape scene in Pulp Fiction wasn’t cut but some sex scene where you can’t actually see anything will be.  

• Like 1