Chinese-Forums

How To Find The Basics (Housing/Internet/Transportation/Etc.) In Harbin From The U.S.

ripburntgucci

• New Members

I've been offered employment in Harbin, China to begin in July 2019. I wanted to get some insight on obtaining the basic necessities. I'm sure some factors are only available upon my landing in Harbin. But I do want to be well prepared prior to moving as much as I can. Please if you have any advise on obtaining the following, I'm all ears!

1. Finding an apartment & average monthly expenses including water and electricity

2. Obtaining/keeping work visa current

3. Paying bills back in the States / Transferring money to U.S. banks to pay bills

4. Getting Phone service and home internet in China

5. Obtaining public transportation (subway, bus, train, etc.) passes

6. Getting an international license / Buying a motorcycle in China

Read this thread. It addresses the housing part of your question. 

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/58244-renting-an-apartment-in-changsha-advice/?tab=comments#comment-452421 

9 hours ago, ripburntgucci said:

6. Getting an international license / Buying a motorcycle in China

You will need a Chinese driving license. International driving license is not valid here (not accepted.)

Do a search for your other questions. Use the search box, top right of the internet version of the forum. It's the one with the magnifying glass. All these things have been discussed a lot. 

More and more banks are using SMS for banking and credit card verifications, and if there's a problem of some sort, they want to be able to contact you. All this means that in addition to getting a Chinese number, you should make sure you have a US mobile number that can reach you in China.

As well, international bank transfers can be slow and cumbersome and expensive. And due to money laundering concerns, some US banks are particularly difficult about them. All this means that you should play it safe and have a decent sum in your US accounts before you leave for paying bills and such. Don't rely on your Chinese income to fund your US expenses, at least initially.

As an extension of the above by @889

I heard US phones are locked into the carrier which might cause some issues.

Consider getting a China phone with China sim and China apps and keeping your American phone separate for two factor verification.

2 hours ago, Flickserve said:

Consider getting a China phone with China sim and China apps and keeping your American phone separate for two factor verification.

That's what I do.

As @abcdefg suggested do a search first and come back with more specific queries. That's not intending to be unhelpful but sometimes these questions are too broad and may not suit a particular individual, e.g housing. People told me that I can easily live in central Beijing for 4000k . I had to pay 8k as anything less was just hideous.

As for the motorbike one. I'd recommend doing the test in the USA first and then you can apply for a Chinese one . It's just a pretty simple computer test in English. As for buying one. Imports are stupidly expensive. Harley will be 140,000  to 600,000 rmb but there are foreign companies in China like Suzuki Honda that make bikes to exact same spec as overseas (I phoned them) and can be cheaper than equivalent overseas model. Some Chinese bikes are pretty decent now like chunfeng .

I personally wouldn't buy a 2nd hand one as there is no annual safety check so god knows what your buying and driving a bike in China carries a lot more risk that USA.  

You need a licence to buy an ebike in Beijing now. Not sure about Harbin

You don’t need a license to buy an eBike. You do need to register your eBike with authorities and then put your  license plate on it. 

Motorbike license in China. As above, if you have a motorbike license in the US then you can “transfer it” (sort of) and that’s a lot easier than doing it here. From what I’ve read, you need excellent Chinese to get one here as the instruction and test is only in Chinese. It seems there was  an English test for a while but they got rid of that. 

Questions 1 , 2 , 4 and 5. If you’re a new hire to China your employer should definitely take care of these for you OR at the very least assist in doing all of them when you arrive. Ask them directly to make sure.