Chinese-Forums

Need advice about CSC Scholarship Termination

Darhyn

• New Members

Hi Guys,

I really need advice or maybe experience sharing from you with the similar issues. I am having the same problem with this attachment (https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/50698-csc-2016-applications/page/24/?tab=comments#comment-393872) but mine is even worst. The story is a little bit long.

1. Now I am doing my internship in my home country. I used to inform the international college officer, he is fine with that but he resigned last month. So, the director is taking care of everything.

2. The school used to pay 700 rmb for live-off campus student. But now the school says to stay in campus and who lives outside of campus, the scholarship will be cancelled.

Back to internship issue, as director of international college is taking care of the scholarship, he had an urgent call for CSC scholarship meeting which announce only 1 day before the date. I could not make it to that meeting as I am in my home country. He then said if anyone can't attend the meeting, they will not get allowance that month which I am cool with that. Anyway, he comes out with new rules;

1, CSC student must stay in campus.

2. CSC student must go to see him at least 2 times a month to get the allowance at anytime he calls.

I have sent an email, wechat message, call on wechat, and call on the phone to that director in explaining my situation and ask him for advice whether;

1. should I checkout of campus as I don't want to create debt for accommodation fee while I am not staying in China.

2. I understand I will not get allowance, will my tuition fee funded by scholarship be active?

3. Any documents he needs me to send regarding internship?

4. Does he want me to go to meet him? He can make the day and I will book the flight to see him.

But no reply at all. I cannot reach him in any channels that available for me to contact him. Only thing I need is the clarification.

One day, the faculty contact me in wechat and ask where am I, and I said I am doing internship like I used to tell them in the office, phone call, plus email. But they said the thing I do is violate the rule because she said she never know that I am CSC student that is why she lets me do internship (before that she supports student idea in doing internship back home). and she asks me to come back asap. I ask her if I go back will the problem be solved? Can I continue doing internship? Then she said no, no one agrees with me to do it. I also ask her to contact that director for me because I cannot reach him in any channels. She said she contacted him and he said no to me. He doesn't like my idea in doing internship. 

I said to her that I submit my annual review with excellent academic results, perfect comment from my supervisor regarding my thesis, plus I participated in activities and did many things for school reputation. She then said "this does not mean that you will not fail the annual review, you are violate the rule that CSC student must study and live in campus plus you go out of China more than 15 days. your scholarship will totally be cancelled, we will not give you anything you have to pay by yourself".

The things I want to ask are;

1. Has anyone had the same experience by been cancelled total scholarship from school and have to pay tuition fee by yourself because you are doing internship outside of China?  (as I say I understand that I will not get allowance, but cancel my scholarship including tuition fee sounds unfair to me).

2. Do you know where/how to see/ask from CSC whether our scholarship status is active/cancel/suspend? I want it to be backup plan as if I find out that my scholarship does not really totally cancel, but they say to me it cancel. So, I can defend it by maybe asking the CSC officer to call the school.

Any thoughts and suggestions?

PS. I don't have any classes in my 2nd year that is why I decide to do internship. My course is not required to do internship, but it will credit more in the academic result when I graduate as there is the section in the opening thesis assessment form in regarding to internship.

Thank you.

Untitled.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first time I hear anything like this happening to a scholarship student, I'm not surprised however, because many people have gone throught endless inconveniences in these type of programs.

1. I think it was not necessary to inform about the internship if it didn't relate to the Chinese governemnt and CSC regulations, in theory you cannot work IN CHINA when you are under a student visa, you are working abroad during vacation time so I don't see any violation to the conditions of the visa.

2. Living off-campus should not be a problem, I'm afraid your school (some school official) is making that up, perhaps those are their own conditions (not CSC ones)

On 4/27/2019 at 7:47 PM, Darhyn said:

as director of international college is taking care of the scholarship, he had an urgent call for CSC scholarship meeting which announce only 1 day before the date. I could not make it to that meeting as I am in my home country. He then said if anyone can't attend the meeting, they will not get allowance that month

3. nonsense

I said to her that I submit my annual review with excellent academic results, perfect comment from my supervisor regarding my thesis, plus I participated in activities and did many things for school reputation. She then said "this does not mean that you will not fail the annual review, you are violate the rule that CSC student must study and live in campus plus you go out of China more than 15 days. your scholarship will totally be cancelled, we will not give you anything you have to pay by yourself".

4. This is not new, someone higher in the hierarchy is putting pressure on her.  

One day, the faculty contact me in wechat and ask where am I, and I said I am doing internship like I used to tell them in the office, phone call, plus email. But they said the thing I do is violate the rule because she said she never know that I am CSC student that is why she lets me do internship (before that she supports student idea in doing internship back home).

5. The supervisor of my language program once told me this: "no matter what things you do or say in the personal part of the review, the only thing that will count for the CSC is the back of the page where the professor marks 及格 /不及格  and writes their signature" 

Do you know where/how to see/ask from CSC whether our scholarship status is active/cancel/suspend?

https://www.csc.edu.cn/about/lianxifangshi there you can get all their numbers and their address in Beijing, I must warn you that lots of the officials there don't speak English so they just may cut the call if you start speaking in English (real life story)

I'm sorry to hear about your current problems and unfortunately most of this text are thoughts instead of advice. The best thing you can do is to try to gather any official information regarding the scholarship that disproves the supervisor's claims (the CSC could be helpful for this), and then contact him to make some sort of appeal. (If you don't speak Chinese or have someone who can help you to speak Chinese I'm afraid solutions and answers may get much harder to obtain)

PS: some friends tried to get CSC help them with some university problems, in the end if the university does not turn its gears then they can't do much.

Edit1: The scholarship does NOT cover anything beyond the things it offers, any additional costs related to your education go at the expense of you or your university, if they agree on giving you x, y or z is at the expense of the university (empirical conclusion, It may not apply to all cases)  

Good Luck