Chinese-Forums

Liu Cixin sci-fi movie Wandering Earth (流浪地球)

roddy

This popped up on Netflix (UK) the other day - hadn't been aware they were even making a film of it. Wandering Earth is a novella by Liu Cixin, author of forums favourites Ball Lightning and the Three Body trilogy (both also translated into English now). 

I didn't know the story of the novella before watching (although apparently there were major changes made), and wasn't that taken with it - bit too fantastical for my liking, and it has a bit of a teen movie feel to it for me. Might be of interest though, and there's a trailer for anyone interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got to say, while it isnt making me think 'I simply must see this movie', it is at least refreshing to see non-hollywood movies making creative steps, taking on original projects (even if the product itself doesnt look that original). As opposed to the constant 'reboots' and 'live action remakes' that fill the cinemas here (see the recently released sonic movie trailer for a good example). 

• Like 1

Saw it last night here in China on payperview TV. 12Kuai 4k.

Was OK, popcorn watch. Plot is beyond ridiculous but if you have no expectations it's not bad .Sci-fi effects no where near as good as Hollywood . Looks a lot like a computer game . 

It's got that usual Hollywood feel good factor, selfless heros, patriotism, inspirational speeches from a dumb kid. Cringy and seems like they have taken a lot of leads from the usual Hollywood blockbusters like independence day, e.g chunjie.

Watchable because it's a Chinese offering, unwatchable if American cinema release, more suited for sci-fi channel 

• Like 1

Surprised people are half-half about it as I really enjoyed it. 

It’s the first sci-fi movie made from china. I thought it was really good, it was released a few months ago in cinemas in China and the cinemas were all packed here.

I liked the concept of the story and I thought the execution of this into film is quite difficult but well executed in general.

There are due to be some other releases as the sets were created for some other projects.

so so a movie , another  hollywood simulation work,  do greatly harm to the very core spirit of the novella, which is very typical Chinese: human  against the nature or heaven, rather than obey or follow ...

I guess the writer borrow the idea spiritually  from chinese myth : 后羿射日.  Story with similar spirit, 愚公移山, 大禹治水, 精卫填海...