Chinese-Forums

Baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, buttermilk

DavyJonesLocker

I was going to use up my mushy bananas and bake a banana and walnut loaf however I notice western receipies often include 

Baking powder , bicarbonate of soda, buttermilk.

Are these easy to get it China? 

To tell the truth I don't know what they are in English either but simple to buy in a supermarket over there

Digging through my cupboard I found these. looks like 小苏打 is baking soda. Is that the same as baking powder ? Other two are yeast I suppose?

Also two other questions,

1. buttermilk , ordinary milk OK

2. Self raising flour, what's the Chinese equivalent? All seems to be jiaozi, baozi this kind of thing . I have "plain flour" though 

My baking skill is almost non existent.

IMG_20190512_164345.jpg

1 hour ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

...Baking powder , bicarbonate of soda, buttermilk. Are these easy to get it China?

Baking powder is easy to find. It's 泡打粉。Average Chinese use it a lot. 

1720629645_IMG_8002(2).thumb.JPG.57bda694420ca0526b0afec42dc2986c.JPG

I've bought bicarbonate of soda at Walmart and Carrefour. It's usually 苏打粉。 Looks like you already have that on hand (小打分 is the same thing.)

No buttermilk here. I think I recall reading tips about how to make buttermilk from whole milk and white vinegar. I have not done it myself. It would be better if you Googled it. Wouldn't want to mislead you. 

Looks like you have two kinds of yeast. 

Digging through my cupboard I found these. looks like 小苏打 is baking soda. Is that the same as baking powder ? 

No, definitely not. Baking soda is completely different from baking powder. Cannot substitute one for the other, at least without making adjustments. 

I'm not a baker. Can't help you with the rest. 

• Helpful 1

Good!

I recused myself as not being a baker, but back when I lived in the US, ten or fifteen years ago, I dabbled in it. One of the things I enjoyed making was banana bread. Great way to use up over-ripe bananas. 

Lots of recipes for banana bread call for baking soda instead of baking powder. So you might already have what you need. Here's one example:  

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/banana_bread/ 

Add: Butter is easy to find here in supermarkets. It's 黄油。

------------------------------- 

I just came across this, might be of interest (about the difference between baking powder and baking soda.)

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/the_difference_between_baking_soda_and_baking_powder/

Excellent I'll just use that recipie  today .

I presume all purpose flour is just plain flour. ? I also have vanilla extract 

I always like banana bread but it's too tempting to just stuff your face so I avoid cakes haha

28 minutes ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

I presume all purpose flour is just plain flour. ?

My all purpose flour looks like this. The key is the "多用“。

581246678_IMG_8004-850px.thumb.jpg.780d621ad006f4e3ced2617aad606641.jpg

The fine print says it's good for making dumplings 水饺,noodles 面条,won ton 馄饨,steamed buns 馒头,huajuan 花卷,stuffed buns 包子 and so on. It doesn't mention bread making uses, but that might just be cultural. 

Cheers all, another feather in the cap if I can bake a cake as I never really like Chinese style cakes.  Western style muffins seem way too expensive if any way good. 49kuai for 4 in Sam's near me and average at best .Nearest Carrefour is 10km from me unfortunately

Problem solved! 

But if you're in Beijing (right?) all this stuff is available in Jenny Lou’s, April Gourmet or Jenny Wang’s. Any other import type place has it. Apart from that, as you’ve found out, Chinese supermarkets sometimes have them as well. 

Self raising flour isn’t something that’s readily available in China from what I’ve found. Sometimes import places have it but you can mostly find alternative recipes without it. 

My girlfriend bakes. You can usually get away without buttermilk. 

1 hour ago, ChTTay said:

Self raising flour isn’t something that’s readily available in China from what I’ve found. Sometimes import places have it but you can mostly find alternative recipes without it. 

i notice both supermarkets have cake flour and bread flour so I hazard a guess that the cake flour might have some self raising ingredients

As you and @abcdefg mentioned , there are lots of different recipes online so finding the ingredients isn't really an issue it appears . Mind you butter isn't cheap here

Might have to increase the running from tomorrow if my cake experimentation turns out to be a success !

I have never used buttermilk, baking soda, baking powder, bicarbonate. 

For a good sponge cake - 1 pound self raising flour

1 pound butter

1 pound sugar

4 large eggs

Cream butter and sugar, add eggs, mix, add flour ( you could add bananas here if you want) mix well grease baking tin, pour in, bake till done 30-40 minutes approx. after 20 min. use the clean knife test and keep checking till knife comes clean.

Ice/frost and /or fill with your choices.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

i notice both supermarkets have cake flour and bread flour so I hazard a guess that the cake flour might have some self raising ingredients

I don't think cake flour is self-rising. It's just milled super fine and has lower protein (gluten) content. See here.

As mentioned in the link abcdefg posted, baking powder = baking soda + acid. Seeing as buttermilk is acidic, if the recipe you're using calls for baking soda and buttermilk, I wouldn't just substitute normal milk for the buttermilk as it might not rise (fully). But, again as abcdefg mentioned, google "buttermilk substitute" and you'll see plenty of easy options. They all seem to be combining milk with something acidic (lemon juice, vinegar, yogurt, cream of tartar, etc.)—which makes sense because that's what you'll need if using baking soda.

• Like 1

will do guys, planning to do it today as soon as I get time, was too late last night and bananas are nearly black. 

6 minutes ago, abcdefg said:

I assume you have an oven. Is it a built-in appliance or a free-standing counter-top model. 

I bought a real cheap counter top oven for 190kuai nearly 5 years ago and its still going strong. I use it almost every day, Can't believe it's still lasting!

7 minutes ago, Yadang said:

I don't think cake flour is self-rising. It's just milled super fine and has lower protein (gluten) content. See here.

cheers , yeah my knowledge of this is slim and none (and slim just left town ....)

Well turned on OK actually. Just mix it up whack it in the oven and Bob's your uncle. 

I reckon a fan oven would be better but my cheapo oven does the job. I used. BBC Good food  website  recipie which UK members would be familiar with. I think BBC website is blocked so added it here for clarity. I only used 100g of sugar and left out the milk and 4 small bananas as recommended by the user comments. Probably better recipies around but often I find American style often too sweet for my liking . 

Ingredients

100g softened butter

140g caster sugar
1 beaten egg

225g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder

4 very ripe bananas

85g chopped walnuts

50ml milk

Good part way way cheaper than buying something in a coffee shop. Bad part according to myfitnesspal app the loaf has just under 3k calories

That baking tin in the picture was donated by my mother . She bought it before I was born. I'm near 46 ?

IMG_20190513_205957.jpg

IMG_20190514_120533.jpg

IMG_20190513_214801.jpg

IMG_20190513_231540.jpg

IMG_20190514_120444.jpg

• Like 2

I understand. That's the main reason I never wanted to learn how to make cookies, cakes, and pies. Back in the day, when I lived in a house with a kitchen that included an oven, I baked most of my own bread. Still miss that sometimes, the smell plus the taste.