Chinese-Forums

Can you please confirm what this means?

Mannster94

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am not sure what they mean together but individually-

随 - suí  -   to follow, to comply with, to allow, subsequently  ( it can also be a surname)

它 - tā -      it

去 - qù -   to go, to do to, to move, (of a time -  last)    There are more definitions for this one but it is usually to go but that doesn't mean it is.

Together it reads      to follow it to go          to me it doesn't make much sense but I may have got it wrong (always possible).

What did you think/hope it meant?

Hope this helps.

Now that you say it @Bibu its obvious, thanks.

@Luxiis yours a longer version of the OP's? or something completely different?

I can see how you can get - let it go - from that but yours seem to be a 4 character cheng yu.

If heaven forbid this was for a tattoo I would go with Luxi's cheng yu, somehow it flows better (no pun intended)

Shelley

48 minutes ago, Shelley said:

is yours a longer version of the OP's?

I meant it as the other half of a hippy couplet - but one needs to add 吧 at the end of 随它去 to make it 2 quatrains. Then I'd hang them on either side of my front door. 

@LuxiAh yes I understand. I don't think you are the only old hippy round here:D in fact my birthday is 3 days after yours but I don't know your year. For me lets just say I did live through 60's and yes I do remember them.

• Like 1

@Shelley it's good to know we're contemporaneous, and almost share a birthday ?! I was alive in the 60s but under parental care & control, so I don't remember the 60s, but for all the wrong reasons. I remember the 70s though ... ?

Are you a cat lady too?

Ha you got me yes cats too - 3 at the moment. Yes I too was under parental control as you say, the 70's was the decade of my teen years. Maybe we should continue this discussion elsewhere :)

• New Members

Thanks for the replies guys,

I was hoping that it meant 'Let it be', i'm messing around with ideas for a tattoo (I know, typical right? ;D) because my mum's favourite Beatles song was Let it be and I like the look of having it in Chinese rather than English, still debating over it though, mainly because of the reputation of western people having Chinese tattoos.

Kyle.

The phrase 'let it be' is not easy to translate in the first place, let alone into Chinese, let alone by someone who doesn't know the language. 'Let it be' is a lovely song, so why not get a tattoo in English? After all, that is the language the song is in. I'm sure there must be a great Beatles-themed tattoo you or a tattoo artist can come up with. Much better than getting something in a language neither you nor your mother (I assume) understand.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I think thats very wise, as you see its never exactly what you think it might be, it often gets lost in translation.

Why not just get it written in your own language in a lovely font maybe with some swirly adornments. Then other people can read it with having to ask you all the time what does it mean.

On 5/15/2019 at 12:18 AM, Luxi said:

随波逐流 - Go with the flow !

good to know it was of Hippy's.

The differ is, 随波逐流 is written formal, about a status of a person mostly and negative, 他随波逐流, means he follow the trend and situation, not his own will.

随他(它)去 is oral,   他(它) refers a very specific person or thing. Let say, Trump add tax 25% toward China, and Chinese says: 随它去.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1