Chinese-Forums

褒贬句

李爱

Hello! 

So since my native language is Arabic, our 语法 is somehow very strict, but then I find the Chinese 语法 somehow flexible.

In Arabic we have a certain 语法 structure that is called 褒贬法,for example:  will translate it to chinese. 

If we want to praise someone we would say 

!ياله من رجل رائع

And the translation would be 

好人啊!

And this is the only way I know to praise someone in chinese, but in Arabic we have a certain ways and specific words for this structure, and I did some researches and all I could get was about praising (褒)and almost nothing about (贬).

So my question is, does Chinese actually have this method? And if not, what is the closest way to express 褒贬?

Quite a lot I know. 

Ps: this question is not involved in homework or any kind of thing, just trying to further my knowledge and self studies.  Thanks in advance! 

Having delved into French and done some Google translating...

The Arabic ياله من رجل رائع gets translated as "what a man" 

褒贬: pass judgment on; appraise ②praise and disparage ◆n. criticisms; comments 

褒贬法 in French is the genre demonstratif (?), a category of rhetoric. (?)

So what you are thinking of in Arabic is what is usually called an exclamative construction in English and 感叹句 in Chinese.

My Arabic is basically non-existent, so could you give us examples of when a positive and a negative exclamative is different, please?

The use of exclamative particles (啊、呀、哪、呢) is essentially de rigueur when dealing with exclamatives.

The use of 太 or 多 or 真 to intensify is also often necessary.

The use of  before the noun phrase is also exclamative, and often somewhat 贬义, although generally to humorous effect.

Your very sentence is mentioned in this reference grammar - I'm not sure whether you've seen it.

• Like 1