Chinese-Forums

A few questions re understanding

SunnySideUp

I have been reading again and came across a few things I wanted to double check with you guys...

小苗虽然已经饿了,可他连看都不看,就着急的问...
Even though小苗is already hungry, he doesn't even take a look at all (I presume at the menu or maybe the food) and just asks anxiously...? This is the structure 连...都,but I don't think I've seen it used like that before (看不看)

乐乐出什么事了吗?
不,不是乐乐出了什么事。

Does this mean: what happened to 乐乐? OR what did you find out about 乐乐?Or can it mean both?

说起乐乐,方小草心里总有一种说不出来的味道。她把这种感觉放在心里。

I feel that I'm missing the point here...I understood this as: speaking of 乐乐, 方小草's heart invariably has a kind of unspeakable (说不出来?) feeling. She takes that feeling to heart.
I'm really not sure here...

这不都是乐乐嘛!他发给你的啊?
That's not all 乐乐!Has he sent you all those?
(They are looking at photos; I'm not sure about the use of 嘛...And also how you'd distinguish that from 吗 when it's spoken)

我想留几张高远的照片…
Does this just mean the speaker wants to keep several photos?

Thank you all!

2 hours ago, SunnySideUp said:

This is the structure 连...都,but I don't think I've seen it used like that before (看不看)

Yeah, it's a bit more advanced. See https://resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/Advanced_uses_of_"lian"

乐乐出什么事了吗?

This means 'Did something happen to Lele?' It's a yes-no question, not a wh- question.

I understood this as: speaking of 乐乐, 方小草's heart invariably has a kind of unspeakable (说不出来?) feeling. She takes that feeling to heart.

You understood correctly.

I'm not sure about the use of 嘛...And also how you'd distinguish that from 吗 when it's spoken

They are interchangeable when used in a rhetorical question (as in this case). But only 吗 is used in inquiry. The difference is purely written (like 的、地、得).

Does this just mean the speaker wants to keep several photos?

Yes.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

Thank you very much, very helpful!

So this sentence still leaves me puzzled... 这不都是乐乐嘛...

Does 这不 on its own indicate that it means "isn't it" or does it need 是 (and 都 has just been put in between in this example to indicate "all")?

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 4:38 AM, SunnySideUp said:

Thank you very much, very helpful!

So this sentence still leaves me puzzled... 这不都是乐乐嘛...

Does 这不 on its own indicate that it means "isn't it" or does it need 是 (and 都 has just been put in between in this example to indicate "all")?

Let me give you some example.

这 This

这是 This is

这都是 All of these are

这不是...吗? Isn't this ...?

这不都是...吗? Aren't these all ...?

Just because there are many photos of 乐乐 , so we have to insert "all (都)" into "这不是". But we cannot use "这不" individually. 

• Thanks 1