Chinese-Forums

左 and 右

Eleonor

• New Members

Hello , I'm interested in chinese characters, especially 左 and 右 (left and right side). I want to know the history of development of these two characters. Can you help me with some materials? 谢谢

Both characters consist of two parts. The part in the upper left side of each character is a person's hand.

For the character for "left", the hand is holding a ruler in the left hand while using a pencil to draw a straight line, or perhaps to mark measuring marks with a pencil. (The I-beam-looking part of the character is a ruler.)

For the character for "right", the hand is putting food into the person's mouth. The idea here is that people usually put food into their mouths with their right hand. (The square box part of the character is a person's mouth.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OneEye said:

in Japanese and in traditional (not 繁體 but 傳統) stroke order rules, the ? in 左 and the ? in 右 are written with different stroke orders. 

This is also still true of 草書 in China - 左 usually starts with a 橫, whereas 右 begins with 撇

• Like 2