Chinese-Forums

Dilemma please help - Recent Conviction

China12345

Hi

I am currently in the process of starting to work in China shortly and I have just been done for Drink Driving (UK)

My DBS will show clear currently so my Z Visa should go through but then there is the issue of the card upon entry into China which asks you about having criminal records

Can anyone give advice if they "double check" documents, in other words if I get everything sorted and go I want to know how risky it is being caught

I appreciate it is not the right thing to do but I am at an age where I won't be going back after my one year of teaching

Thanks

M

16 hours ago, China12345 said:

...but then there is the issue of the card upon entry into China which asks you about having criminal records

If you mean the "landing card" that you fill out while still on the airplane and later give to the immigration officer along with your passport and visa, I think you are mistaken about its contents. Here's a snapshot of a spare one I picked up within the last month or so when on a trip. 

The reverse side is blank.

1303487544_IMG_8280-700px(2).thumb.jpg.c8cccd9d8f502cc6936fde1b805c8cdf.jpg

(Click to enlarge.)

I appreciate it is not the right thing to do but I am at an age where I won't be going back after my one year of teaching.

You may have to lie somewhere else in the hiring or credentialing process. Of course it's your own business, but I want to clearly be on record as not encouraging that course of action.  

• Helpful 2

12 hours ago, China12345 said:

@abcdefg Thank you response, ok that is one hurdle, then it is a case of once you are there do they require any checks doing, have read possibly they do for residency permit. The job is in Hangzhou.

Will you be teaching English?

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 8:07 AM, abcdefg said:

You may have to lie somewhere else in the hiring or credentialing process.

@abcdefg   Pretty sure the original criminal records check (mentioned above) is it from the application/govt side.  They could decide to check again but not sure how or why. Usually you just give in a copy of your check at the start and that’s it. 

In this situation, I reckon you’d just not be able to leave China (let your visa expire or have it cancelled) and come back again. That would require applying for a new visa and you’d need the check again. 

As mentioned, the employer would be hiring you on the assumption of having a clean criminal record though.  The whole thing doesn’t sound like a good idea. 

3 hours ago, ChTTay said:

you’d just not be able to leave China (let your visa expire or have it cancelled) and come back again. That would require applying for a new visa and you’d need the check again. 

As would applying for a new job with another company in China, wouldn't it?  (new Z-visa, requiring new police check...)

8 hours ago, mungouk said:

As would applying for a new job with another company in China, wouldn't it?  (new Z-visa, requiring new police check...)

If the job is in the same field then no. You just transfer your residence permit over. I’ve had multiple jobs here and not been required to re-do anything. You also don’t get a new visa. Hand your passport in, wait 2 weeks, get passport back with new RP. 

• Helpful 1

So I've gathered I can get my z visa ok and get into China ok, it is whether they do a check once I'm there and trying to get my residency permit. It's not like I can ask whether they check without raising suspicions, as mentioned earlier it is in Hangzhou. Any more advice is greatly appreciated, I have taken on board everything so far.

Thanks

I've recently been through it here in Beijing — got my residency permit about 2 weeks ago — and was only asked to submit one police check certificate in the whole process, which was authenticated by the FCO (adding the apostille) and then "legalised" by the Chinese consulate, all while I was in the UK.

2 minutes ago, mungouk said:

I've recently been through it here in Beijing — got my residency permit about 2 weeks ago — and was only asked to submit one police check certificate in the whole process, which was authenticated by the FCO (adding the apostille) and then "legalised" by the Chinese consulate, all while I was in the UK.

Did you have to get an ACRO certificate?

1 minute ago, China12345 said:

Did you have to get an ACRO certificate?

No, actually I got a Disclosure Scotland certificate which is cheaper (£25), but they're equivalent. 

I have used both DS and ACRO in the past, for Singapore, Australia and India (can't remember which was which, although the last ACRO was Aus).

42 minutes ago, mungouk said:

No, actually I got a Disclosure Scotland certificate which is cheaper (£25), but they're equivalent. 

I have used both DS and ACRO in the past, for Singapore, Australia and India (can't remember which was which, although the last ACRO was Aus).

I'm assuming Disclosure Scotland is the equivalent of a DBS in England. Mine has come through clear now so it is whether that certificate on its own is sufficient whilst I am there

At the time I applied only Disclosure Scotland would let an individual apply directly for a criminal records check. The DBS had to come from a company ... maybe it’s changed now.