Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
abcdefg

What fruits are in season now?

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

MerlinStevens

Wow, great, thank you! And what about the strawberry and black cherry? I am fond of the latter one greatly.

abcdefg

Hello @MerlinStevens -- Welcome to the Forums!

Kunming strawberry season is in mid to late February, very early. It lasts about a month, depending on how rapidly the weather warms up. That is also when the cherry trees bloom here. They make a beautiful sight.

Afraid I don't know about black cherries specifically. 

One can still find a few hothouse strawberries even now, but they are out of season and cost two or three times what they do earlier in the year. They look pretty, but I'm not sure how they taste since I don't buy them myself. 

Is rhubarb seasonal? Don't recall ever seeing it, at least in supermarkets.

abcdefg

@889 -- I don't think I've seen it here. Must admit that I've never launched a search for it, so I could have just overlooked it. 

DavyJonesLocker
On 6/13/2019 at 3:27 PM, abcdefg said:

Forget about avocados牛油果。Imported ones don’t ripen well and cost way too much. Local ones are scarce. Chinese don’t much like them. No demand means very limited production.

4 for 39 in the Jing Dong supermarket (called 7 Fresh) near me in Beijing. Very good actually as they include 2 ripe and 2 unripened. They flavour too. However I don't see them that often in other places around.

• Like 1

abcdefg

Good to know, @DavyJonesLocker -- I stand corrected. Thanks. The ones I buy here are rock hard at the time of purchase, and turn bad before they ripen. I've given up on them. It's a pity, because I love avocados, would very much like to make a batch of delicious guacamole. 

I'll keep trying to find some here, maybe look in other stores. (I don't think we have Jing Dong.) Most of the ones I see are imported from New Zealand. 

Fresh avocados are real good in Texas. Lots of them are brought up from Mexico. When I go home for my annual visit, I quickly get spoiled. Eat lots of them. 

DavyJonesLocker
1 hour ago, abcdefg said:

Good to know, @DavyJonesLocker -- I stand corrected. Thanks. The ones I buy here are rock hard at the time of purchase, and turn bad before they ripen. I've given up on them. It's a pity, because I love avocados, would very much like to make a batch of delicious guacamole. 

although I'd say its the exception rather than the rule. Advocado is not a commonly seen fruit here in Beijing from my experience, mainly found in the more modern supermarkes

Just ate one this morning, Toast , Peanut butter and avocada which a lot of people think its weird :lol: 

What you are seeing more and more here in Beijing  is prepackaged fruits, so no need wrestle your way in amongst the 大妈s to get the best ones. Again you pay a premium for this convenience. However given i really start to get irrate with all the pushing , shoving queue skipping at the weighting stations in the more traditional supermarkets, its a premium I would happily pay!

ChTTay

Avocados popular in Beijing. “In the know” old people starting to eat them for health reasons.  Then of course young’uns enjoy them in salad, on toast, sandwiches, smoothies etc 

I’ve yet to have good Chinese lemons or limes. I always try buy imported. The Chinese ones are always so dry and don’t produce much juice or have much flavour. 

• Like 1

DavyJonesLocker
1 hour ago, ChTTay said:

Avocados popular in Beijing. “In the know” old people starting to eat them for health reasons.  Then of course young’uns enjoy them in salad, on toast, sandwiches, smoothies etc 

Based on this thread, I noticed avocado oil in the supermarket today. Not sure if I've even see that in UK. Never looked though. 

at 110kuai for 250ml ,I think I'll pass on that :)

Nice on a salad , pasta perhaps

Screenshot_20190618_230004_com.xstore.sevenfresh.jpg

mungouk
On 6/13/2019 at 3:27 PM, abcdefg said:

rambutan  红毛丹 are finished for the year. (early spring fruit.)

I've had these in Thailand in August... is the season so different?

• Like 1

abcdefg
7 hours ago, mungouk said:

I've had these in Thailand in August... is the season so different?

@mungouk -- I really don't know much about this tasty fruit. I ate some good ones in Vietnam last month. Mostly sweet with a subtle sour note as well. Have also had them farther south, in Malaysia; can't remember exactly what time of year.

What I read in Wikipedia just now is that some of the rambutan trees can bear fruit twice a year and others only once. Would not be surprised if the time at which they flower and then fruit depends to a large extent on how far north one looks. It's my understanding (my limited understanding) that they require tropical warm weather to produce; don't do well in cooler climates. 

The ones that show up in the fruit stalls here in Kunming are grown farther south. They aren't indigenous to Kunming. I say that without really knowing for 100% sure. I've been fooled before by farmers growing small amounts of this or that in hothouse conditions right on the edge of the city. 

Thailand sure does have lots of good tropical fruit. Every time I go there, I discover something new. (Heading to Chiang Mai again in about two weeks.)

abcdefg
9 hours ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

Based on this thread, I noticed avocado oil in the supermarket today. Not sure if I've even see that in UK. Never looked though. 

at 110kuai for 250ml ,I think I'll pass on that

I've never used it either.