Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
Jan Finster

Paying native Chinese to read & record texts

Jan Finster

I wonder how I would go about finding native Chinese speakers to read & record text passages for me?

Where do I find such people?

How do I pay them (per 1000 words vs per time vs etc)?

What is a reasonable price?

Thank you :)

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

Flickserve

Finding is quite easy. You can find language partners with good pronunciation and who are interested in recording material.

The problem is how to pay them. Alipay and wechat would be easiest for them to receive payment but we can't do that.

One way is if you personally know someone who has wechat, you give that person cash or whatever and then they pay the person in China on your behalf.

Wurstmann

You could pay someone like him or him. Just search for Chinese on fiverr.

• Like 1

Flickserve

That is expensive but top professional.

I got a community tutor off italki to do some readings once upon a time ago.

Jan Finster
30 minutes ago, Wurstmann said:

You could pay someone like him or him. Just search for Chinese on fiverr.

"$10 per 100 Chinese characters" is expensive in my book especially considering that on italki some tutors take 5$ per hour. 🤨 How many characters can you record in 1 hour?

38 minutes ago, Flickserve said:

The problem is how to pay them. Alipay and wechat would be easiest for them to receive payment but we can't do that.

Thanks! I can find a way to pay them, but I wonder what is a fair price?

Wurstmann

How much text do you have? If it's only one or two stories or something your friends would probably do it for free. :D

abcdefg
6 hours ago, Jan Finster said:

Thanks! I can find a way to pay them, but I wonder what is a fair price?

I would probably do what @Flickserve suggested. Find an on-line tutor, and pay the going rate for an hour of his or her time. You could even hire that same tutor to listen to you read through that material the next week and critique your performance. Work with you on parts where your reading fell short. 

• Helpful 1

大块头

I previously hired someone I found on couchsurfing.org to record and edit ~10k words from SUBTLEX-CH. It worked out OK for me, but if I were to do it again I'd find someone on Upwork instead.

luu

Chinese university student

I am finding a English language partner

Recording materials is ok

contact me if you want

NinjaTurtle

Jan,

Have you thought about finding someone in your local area? Or do you prefer working with someone online?

I have a lot of experience having Chinese people help me with my Chinese. But my experience has been that they are much more interested in doing an exchange (for free) than receiving money. If money is an issue with you, this could be a way for you to do this for free.

If you need any ideas on how to do an exchange with someone, please do not hesitate to ask.

• Like 1

mackie1402

I usually use Fiverr for this type of thing.

I think the most important question is what are you using these recordings for? 

Is it to practise shadowing to improve your pronunciation? In that case it might work out best to get a tutor on italki to make a recording, then help you go over your pronunciation the following week. Rinse and repeat. 

Are you making a product where you need professional quality recordings to sell? In that case go with someone on fiverr and make sure you get the appropriate licenses. 

Be sure to check the speaker's accent. 

Finally,  a wordlist is entirely different to an article. If people charge per 100 characters/words, that's for sentences and articles. If you want 100 characters/words to be read like a wordlist one-by-one, there's usually a different price as this takes much more time. In fact here is a quote from one of the fiverr links from above:

If your script is a list of words/short phrases: contact us for pricing.

I also wouldn't expect someone who teaches for 1 hour on italki to give you 1 hour worth of recorded material either. It's a completely different job. A teacher gives input and feedback, explains grammatical points and most of the time lets the student do the talking (after all we want to practise Chinese, not listen to a lecture.) Recording articles for 1 hour with clear pronunciation and no mistakes is actually quite exhausting, physically and mentally. Just give it a try yourself and try to record 1 page from a book in your native language without making a mistake. 

Good luck and let us know how you get on! 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Flickserve
2 hours ago, mackie1402 said:

also wouldn't expect someone who teaches for 1 hour on italki to give you 1 hour worth of recorded material either. 

That is quite true. You have to give them time for editing. I used to be quite generous in allowance time and not expect lots of recordings. Also, I asked the tutors who I had built up a number of lessons with rather than just ask them to do this as a first service.

• Like 1

Jan Finster
11 hours ago, mackie1402 said:

Is it to practise shadowing to improve your pronunciation? In that case it might work out best to get a tutor on italki to make a recording, then help you go over your pronunciation the following week. Rinse and repeat. 

Are you making a product where you need professional quality recordings to sell? In that case go with someone on fiverr and make sure you get the appropriate licenses. 

It is really just for my personal use. I am currently using Lingq and would love to add some content that is interesting to me.

11 hours ago, mackie1402 said:

I also wouldn't expect someone who teaches for 1 hour on italki to give you 1 hour worth of recorded material either. It's a completely different job. A teacher gives input and feedback, explains grammatical points and most of the time lets the student do the talking (after all we want to practise Chinese, not listen to a lecture.) Recording articles for 1 hour with clear pronunciation and no mistakes is actually quite exhausting, physically and mentally.

Of course I do not expect 1 hour of recording time for each 1 hour paid.