Chinese-Forums

Back with another question about names! (适合中国古代人用)

Cain

• New Members

I have so much with trouble finding Chinese names it's beyond shameful. I always worry about the name sounding nonsensical or just evoking the feeling of "say what? O_o"

Anyways, I'll have to trouble everyone again & ask...

Do these names sound good for a male character in an ancient chinese novel? Are they correct?

"峰宁"

"远宁"

"维宁"

"帆宁"

"温宁"

If you hadn't noticed, I really like the character "宁", so if you have better male names that end with "宁", please let me know!

Honestly though, what is the secret to forming a proper Chinese name without having someone laugh at you TT_TT

7 hours ago, Cain said:

Honestly though, what is the secret to forming a proper Chinese name without having someone laugh at you

Pull out your copy of 楚辭 and you'll find endless names of flowers, plants, heavenly realms etc. If you're after 武俠 style names, many can just be (and are) taken from old fancy plant/animal names or seasonal/local attributes/heroes etc

• 5 months later...

oh well this is a complicated thing.... 

well in ancient china the name of a man is complex. they had 姓 名 字 号 (and before 秦, 氏 as well) and each of them is given by different people and is used in different situation. this is taught in middle school in china when we start to learn the classical chinese, not considering that we are native Chinese speakers. 

I wouldn't go through the details but fundamentally, an average Chinese man in ancient time must have 姓(surname), 名(given name) and 字(you can think it a equivalence to nickname but there's some slight difference) 姓 and 名 is given when the baby is born, and 字 is given by father when the man becomes an adult (for men it is 20 years old and for women it is 15). generally 字 and 名 have similar meaning, but sometimes they could have the opposite meaning. (some complicated not-so-professional advice) 

and for the name you've chosen, I thing it would be better when 宁 becomes the second character, such as 宁峰 or 宁枫(personally, I like those two by their pronunciation but I cannot explain why)