Chinese-Forums

luckin coffee is pretty good

murrayjames

1 hour ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

Me too, I put things in recycle bins but it's pointless the they are all full if all sorts or rubbish. I'll bet they don't go to and recycling plant. Just dumped.

I've definitely seen all the rubbish being mixed up together when it's being collected before. However, if I can be fined for putting stuff in the wrong bin then I really really hope that the next part of the chain has been thought about! (possibly wishful thinking)

• Like 1

I am glad that starbucks have competition now. I am a coffee fan, drink 3 cups a day since I was a kid and despite many wanting to bash starbbucks quality,  their coffee is still decent quality, its strong and bitter which I like . Costa Coffee is just like coffee flavoured water as is many of the independant stores in Beijing, I suspect that many take a dislike to starbucks do to them being global corportion.  Coffee in Wagas and Crossant village in Beijing are good. Also believe it or not KFC and McCafe are not half bad!  But I suspect snobbery affects peoples choice on this. Coffee has become like wine in this regard 

Despite liking the coffee, I dislike going to starbucks for several reason

1. Those silly idiotic names they use for cup like short, tall, grande, venti etc it just plain irritating. S, M L XL 

2. Almost every single Starbucks I go into they never have filter coffee prepared. its a coffee store for god sake, the fundamental product and the very foundation of the business. I end up having to hang around for 10 mins which they prepare it and them remind them that i ordered a coffee

3. Glad China didn't take up the cringy idea of writing your name on the cup, like Europe.  What over paid ponce thought up that idea. (Do I sound like Michael Douglas in Falling Down now?)  :D

Or is it just me ? :shrug:

27 minutes ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

Glad China didn't take up the cringy idea of writing your name on the cup, like Europe.  What over paid ponce thought up that idea. (Do I sound like Michael Douglas in Falling Down now?)  :D

Starbucks do write names on cups! I  get “Mr. 外“ if they’re polite or “外国人” if they’re just being like that. This is in various Starbucks across the city. However, I’ve noticed that some places just won’t write anything on my cup. Despite ordering in Chinese I think only one time someone asked for my surname and they write a character that isn’t even used in names! 

I still have a photo of the glorious day where they wrote my English first name on my cup of iced coffee. Happened once and once only. 

The coffee at Pacific Coffee is not bad. A few RMB cheaper than Starbucks and a much better taste than Costa.

40 minutes ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

Glad China didn't take up the cringy idea of writing your name on the cup, like Europe. 

Employees at the Starbucks closest to me in south Chengdu do ask Chinese customers for their surnames, and write them on their coffee cups. They don’t ask foreigners for surnames, but do write 友人 on our cups.

14 minutes ago, murrayjames said:

They don’t ask foreigners for surnames, but do write 友人 on our cups.

Must check next time! I never noticed. I do see them writing on it but presumed it was just the coffee name!

Benefits of being a 老外

If you use the Starbucks app (wouldn't really recommend, the rewards aren't great - Family Mart is the king of rewards systems!) then they print out a little label with your name on it and put it on your cup (I think - I don't go very often, usually only at highway service stations or train stations). A few tea places will try to write names on cups, I've had some interesting variations on my (chinese) name.  

Agree on Costa being awful. In Shanghai we have a fairly decent range of independent coffee shops and smaller chains. Shout out to Manner Coffee for being suitably hipster (baristas all wearing beanie hats etc), good coffee beans, and only 15 kuai when you bring your own cup.

32 minutes ago, laomao said:

then they print out a little label with your name on it and put it on your cup

Your name isn’t printed on that label on your cup in Beijing. They always write it. The only time they wrote my name was when the person actually looked at my membership info and wrote my name ?

38 minutes ago, ChTTay said:

Your name isn’t printed on that label on your cup in Beijing. They always write it. The only time they wrote my name was when the person actually looked at my membership info and wrote my name ?

Ah, guess I should look more closely then! Shows how much I need caffeine!! 

6 hours ago, laomao said:

part of me wonders if their entire game plan rests on Starbucks being forced out...

This makes me wonder if Starbucks is going to be banned, as happened to Google for Baidu and to Facebook for... Chinese social networks.

I detest the name writing. I have a name that is usually misspelled, so I have the option of either spelling out my name for a barista who really has better things to do than learning how a random customer's name happens to be spelled; or not spelling it out and have it misspelled; or giving an alternate name that is not misspelled and react to that. I know a Chinese woman who goes by her Chinese name because hers happens to be easy enough, but she does have a (presumably English) name just for Starbucks. That is just not things a person should have to deal with when all they want is a simple cup of coffee.

• Like 1

Davy, sure it’s not under the cardboard sleeve? 

50 minutes ago, Lu said:

That is just not things a person should have to deal with when all they want is a simple cup of coffee.

I’ve heard cranky morning people in London just say expletives in response to the name question. Lots of F bombs. 

3 hours ago, ChTTay said:

Davy, sure it’s not under the cardboard sleeve

Nope, the thread promoted me to go to Starbucks instead of the other coffee shop beside it (wagas) after gym today. . Curiosity got the better of me?

You're probably  right though! Maybe in my case it's because I asked in Chinese and the dude announced in Chinese the coffee type at the collection place.

"Luckin Coffee" never sounds good to my ear when I come across it. I always wonder if it's a mistake, and should perhaps be "Lucky" or if the company is trying to copy someone else's advertising slogan like "Finger Lickin' Good." 

It doesn't have the "ear appeal" or pizaz that "Starbucks" has as a name, especially in their early years, before it became too common. 

Wonder if Chinese clients find 瑞幸咖啡 to be snazzy and catchy. The paired fourth tones are kind of nice. If I had been asked to come up with an English name for this product, I might have gone with sound instead of with meaning.

For example, instead of working with the "auspicious, fortunate" possibilities, trying something based on how the words are said and testing names like "Racing Coffee." ("rui4 xing4")

Do Chinese companies, or their ad agencies, hold "focus groups" for naming? Do they use surveys, or some other process? Do they hire Taoist sages and diviners? Not that it really matters, of course. Just mildly curious.

Does "瑞幸咖啡" have advertising jingles that play on air or on TV? 

Are there English slogans and jingles just waiting to be rolled out once foreign market share reaches some critical point? 

Picture someone with a patch on one eye like Johnny Depp in "Pirates of the Caribbean." 

"Ahoy mate, what about a hot cup of Luckin?"

"Fuckin' A, Jack, make mine a double."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abcdefg said:

"Luckin Coffee" never sounds good to my ear when I come across it.

Funny you should say that. When I first heard the name I would always say to my wife "What an awful name. Just sounds harsh to my ear. Even Lucky Coffee wouldn't sound that original." But now I've seen its name plastered everywhere that it just sounds so normal. 

On another note, I always see a chocolate shop in the big shopping centres called 'Awfully Chocolate'. Possibly one of the least appealing chocolate brands I've heard of...

• Like 1