Chinese-Forums

深楚?

Lu

Father is abusive, kicks and hits his young daughter. 她也习惯了,只是疼痛仍旧是那么深楚的,她不得不发出哀叫。

What does 深楚 mean here? I can't find an explanation anywhere and now I start to suspect it might be a typo (wouldn't be the first one in this book), but then what should it be? Any help is much appreciated.

4 hours ago, Lu said:

What does 深楚 mean here?

深 (shen1) you know ('deep', for anyone who doesn't)

楚 (chu3) has quite a few meanings, here it's a toss between 'pain' and 'punishment' - I'd go for pain or suffering in the context of your sentence

Yellowbridge has 

distinct; clear; orderly; pain; suffering; deciduous bush used in Chinese medicine (genus Vitex); punishment cane (old); (Chinese surname); abbr. for Hubei 湖北 and Hunan 湖南 省 provinces together; Chinese kingdom during the Spring and Autumn and Warring States Periods (722-221 BC)

Edited by Luxi
  • Helpful 1

This is where the 'pain' meaning must have come from: 2, on this page http://www.guoxuedashi.com/zidian/695A.html

2. 古代的刑杖,或学校扑责学生的小杖:捶~。夏~。~掠(拷打)。~挞(拷打)。

(This website is unsecured but it is safe, I use it all the time)

(A page is "safe" when it's secured only in the sense that information transmitted back-and-forth, like credit card numbers, is encrypted. Whether a site is secure or unsecured, it might nonetheless have nasty re-directs or other harmful elements. So don't take https:// in the address as a guaranty of safety.)

22 minutes ago, 889 said:

don't take https:// in the address as a guaranty of safety

Good warning.

I only meant that the site doesn't require any personal information and has no nasty adds, pop-ups etc. But, of course, one must be ALWAYS cautious (even in one's bank website)

18 hours ago, Luxi said:

楚 (chu3) has quite a few meanings, here it's a toss between 'pain' and 'punishment' - I'd go for pain or suffering in the context of your sentence

Thanks! For some reason my dictionaries didn't give me this meaning. Now the word makes perfect sense.

• 3 weeks later...

痛得那么深切 而 清楚

Will it be clearer to see the meaning of it now?

It describes the degree of pain and suffering, deep enough to penetrate one's heart and reach everywhere, too distinct to be ignored

It is a mixture 糅合 of both words to create wording new and concretely appropriate to a certain context. That's why it is beyond search in dictionary. You may call it the beauty of Chinese characters. To a certain extent, 深=切,清=楚,and the combining of two makes the expression neat and concise. However, it is not done randomly but based on the understanding habit of native speaker, say, it would not sounds appropriate if you make it 深清or 切楚.  Maybe 楚切 may make sense.

• Helpful 1