Chinese-Forums

Translate this phrase

李爱

Hey everyone! 

Can someone help me translating these phrases! 

1.Immerse oneself in Chinese and English (languages) 

2.think outside the box "外箱思考" is this translation right? 

3.how to say "being independent helped me be a multi-tasker" in a formal way?  Can I use the 成语 (一心二用)

I have been watching this request for a couple of days now, but resisted the urge to get involved. But it seems nobody is willing to step in and give you advice, maybe because they feel the same way I do about your requests. Maybe the usually forthcoming members of the forum are waiting for somebody to go first and comment on your approach, rather than your requests.  So I will try to make a suggestion based on my experience, in the hope others will be more willing to then start offering suggestions for translations. I hope I don't offend you, but if I do, I apologize in advance.

Based on the phrasings in your request, it seems to me you are attempting to "speak Chinese with English characteristics." For example, why on earth would you think a Chinese person would have any idea what your translation of phrase no. 2 means. There may be a Chinese phrase that expresses the idea of thinking of solutions to a problem without being constrained by prior attempts at solving that problem, but unless such a phrase is a direct translation of current slangy English, I highly doubt that it looks like your attempt. It's possible, of course, but I think it's very unlikely.

Phrase no. 3 might have a bit better chance, as I'm sure "multitasking " has made it into the mainstream by now, but I don't think you really need to ask these questions in this way. Looking at your avatar and your location in Egypt, I'm absolutely sure you're already multilingual. I'm sure you've already faced and overcome this tendency to translate phrases in one language directly into another language. Give your Chinese a chance by taking some of the modern, trendy English flavor out of your thinking.

I think you have the seeds of the answer you really want in phrase no. 3. Instead of direct translation of trendy English, start learning chengyu and other set phrases in Chinese to fit the situation you face. Try not to be limited or restrained by attempting to find a Chinese translation, look for a Chinese equivalent instead.

Just my opinion, of course. I hope others will now jump in and give you some more helpful answers to your actual questions.

TBZ

Hm... I wonder what the trend is these days of people being so distrusting of each other and treating each other so condescendingly on this forum.

Honestly the reason why I have been reluctant to answer is that I feel too lazy to do the work to try to come up with translations for OPs questions because they're all idiomatic English that doesn't always fit easily into Chinese.

1. "immerse" oneself in a language: sometimes people use the word 沉浸 for immerse, but it sounds much more poetic in Chinese to me than it does in English.

2. 外箱思考 may not be the best translation, but it exists out there in the world and is google-able, though I am confused why anyone would favour 外箱思考 over 箱外思考 if they're dead set on using "箱子"

3. Are you writing a résumé? You can use 一心二用 but I would say 一心二用的能力 or something like that for your "ability to multitask"

• Thanks 1

2. 外箱思考 may not be the best translation, but it exists out there in the world and is google-able, though I am confused why anyone would favour 外箱思考 over 箱外思考 if they're dead set on using "箱子"

If it doesn't seem the best translation, and at odds with wider word order, why settle for it? Alternatives need to be sought.

In my previous post I pointed out the saying 一心不能二用 (in relation to another of the OP's points), generally suggested using bilingualized (E-E-C) advanced learner dictionaries, and posted a link to a free online one, but I've now in protest removed the link.

This may unfortunately be to the OP's and whoever else's loss but I for one don't take too kindly to mods ultimately blanket-blaming ('people being so distrusting of each other and treating each other so condescendingly'), as it can start to make any and all contributors feel unwelcome and unvalued - not a good direction to take with a forum-based site. Or am I being too sensitive or (as) pathological regarding language "issues"?

I'm not sure the answer is calling individual members out though (unless given absolutely no other choice), so yes, a little more thought and consideration goes a long way! (Just my pro-tip of the day). Would I personally have phrased a reply in quite the way and to quite the length that TBZ did? Probably not in this case. But did I feel a need to haul him up on anything in particular? No (he was actually "polite enough"), even if that appears to others to "let things slide" (is explicit grating better though? Sparks then really fly).

Roddy's on holiday and I'm not interested in entertaining the discussion on who can be the most petty, because it's me. I've removed the off topic posts and you can feel free to DM me if you have more complaints.

1、全神贯注 or 专心致志

On 7/4/2019 at 6:38 AM, 李爱 said:

Immerse oneself in Chinese

2、打破常规,Used to express thinking out loud and not being trapped by tradition or routine.

think outside the box

3、一心二用,to do two things at once 

3.how to say "being independent helped me be a multi-tasker" in a formal way

I come from China, I'm learning English now,and I want to find a friend who native language is English.I teach you Chinese and you teach me English.My QQ is 1643164911.

• Helpful 1