Chinese-Forums

Idioms for Job Interview

orlimar105

• New Members

Hi, I am at HSK5 level. I am going for a job interview next week and wanted to ask users for advice on any idioms they might recommend during the interview. Subjects generally would be:

1. Being a good fit (with the company) 

2. Helping company grow business and look for opportunities. 

3. Long-lasting relationship

4. Ambitious

5. Hard working

Thank you! 

I'd be careful on that one, it's more likely to go wrong than right in my view. You want to maximize your chances of getting a job not add in a wildcard so to speak.

Sometimes  idioms sound great in your head but then if you use it in the wrong context, mispronunciate and people didn't understand etc it can be quite embarrassing. 

Remember why you are there, they want to see if you will be an asset to the company and if your more suitable  than other candidates, will you fit in with the rest of the company culture and so on. It's not to test your knowledge on idioms. 

Just my two cents but I have interview more than a hundred people I'd say I'm my time often for high profile jobs and many within china

• Like 1

Yes, and if you take the time to learn a half-dozen cool Chinese phrases, then you are going to throw a couple of them into the conversation whether they fit or not simply to make the effort worthwhile. You won't look good. In a formal situation like a job interview, forget slang and jargon. Stick to standard Chinese.

• Like 2