Chinese-Forums

Can you buy from Aliexpress or Alibaba while living in China?

vellocet

So I find myself needing several products that are readily available in export markets yet unavailable on Taobao/JD/etc.  Battery-powered nav lights for a kayak, if your incessant curiosity is going to make you ask this instead of answering the question.  Trying to buy from Aliexpress, the two sellers did not respond to my communication requests at all.  Will they sell to foreigners living in China?  For Alibaba, I hear they don't send samples to anyone any more, you need to prove your bona fides as an exporter.  Or their MOQ is two.  

I don't think Aliexpress allows for shipping to China, no (unless you are able to directly negotiate with the seller and formally make the order to an address abroad). Don't know about Alibaba, wouldn't be surprised if it's the same.

Surprised there is stuff available from Aliexpress that cannot be found on Taobao (besides "global from" phones etc).

As someone else complained here a year or so ago, finding a specific but not too common item on Taobao or Tmall can be frustrating because the search function has its idiosyncrasies.

Most but not all Aliexpress sellers ship to Hong Kong, convenient if you're in the PRD.

Lots of stuff is export-only, no domestic demand.  For example, battery-powered kayak lights.  Nobody recreationally boats in China's waters because they're polluted.  No going out to the lake for the weekend.

One thing you could try, although it will probably raise the cost quite a bit, is to use a shopping agent in Hong Kong, Taiwan or somewhere else not too far away. Provided they are willing to order from Aliexpress (and not strictly sticking to ordering from sites based in their own territory...) and ship to Mainland China.

Let'sGoBuy is one such agent site (which I came across earlier today, when I discovered that it's impossible to have stuff from Yahoo Taiwan shipped abroad). They don't list China as a shipping location, but they might be willing to help you out if you drop them an email.

• Like 2

I always use Alibaba to buy office supplies in China. It's true that some places need a minimum order, but some places have the minimum set to one. If you shop around on there you might find one of those, but like you say, that type of product might not be the most common to find. 

I regularly buy from alibaba. I had a problem registering and the account was blocked  but I suspect that it was due to the VPN . Now I just contact the seller direct as many have their details posted as a photo . 

Also I find that if you  write Chinese in an email, we chat  you get a much better price. 

Further they also have many items for sale that they don't  advertise publicly for various  reasons best left unmentioned. 

If I'm reading correctly, he doesn't actually make purchases through Alibaba. He contacts sellers directly through the email addresses often ”hidden" in their Alibaba photos, and then tries to work out something outside Alibaba. Which means you don't get the payment and other protections the website offers.

2 hours ago, 889 said:

If I'm reading correctly, he doesn't actually make purchases through Alibaba. He contacts sellers directly through the email addresses often ”hidden" in their Alibaba photos, and then tries to work out something outside Alibaba. Which means you don't get the payment and other protections the website offers.

Are you referring to me ?

If so yes that's correct. It's indeed a risk but I suspect there is a strong motivation behind for sellers to do this, given so many do it. Avoid tax, alibaba payment, unlicensed  goods perhaps?  etc

However you are right in that I would have no payment protection. So definitely a big factor to consider!