Chinese-Forums

help/translation needed of soup/stew recipe

ghstudio

• New Members

I purchased a packet of "chinese Herbal Mix for stewing pork" made by tomax enterprixes and sold by amazon and walmart:

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/tomax-chinese-herbal-mix-for-stewing-pork/6000197121121

https://www.amazon.com/小磨坊養顏四物湯-Chinese-herbal-Stewing-Pork/dp/B075DVBTL4

There are no english instructions....

abcjpg.thumb.jpg.9d66eb0f52892a0f9ae6135d5061872e.jpg

Sorry, but those aren't really very good instructions for use.

1717307977_abcjpg.thumb.jpg.9d66eb0f52892a0f9ae6135d5061872e(2).jpg.f10c43ee20728ed946b698615fb3ac09.jpg

The Walmart link (paraphrased) says, "Stew the meat with the contents of the packet for 30 to 45 minutes." 

In a little while I'll take a closer look and see if I can figure out something else to help you with this project.  

In the instructions it mentions chicken and spare ribs (ETA 500g of either) rather than pork; says you must blanch the meat first (川烫 - new term to me!) then add litre and a half of water and the packet of herb mix and stew until ready.

I think the label says it also works with pork ribs 排骨。(The instructions are not very clearly written.) 

Here's what I would do, step by step:

1. First rinse the meat in one change of ordinary tap water, throwing that water away.
  2. Blanch the meat in a fresh pot of water. This gets rid of blood and impurities. It's part of standard Chinese cooking technique. The way to do it is to start the pork ribs in a pot of cold water, bring it to the boil quickly over high heat, with the pot uncovered.
  3. Chinese recipes usually call for adding a few slices of ginger and a spring onion to that first blanching. (Discard these after blanching.) 
  4. Scoop off and discard any foam or scum that comes to the top. There is always some. 
  5. Then fish the meat out of the water with a strainer or ladle and cook it in a fresh pot of water, adding the contents of the seasoning packet. Cook it over low heat (simmer.) I would cook it with the lid of the pot on, being careful not to let it boil over.
  6. I would suggest starting to check whether the meat is done at 30 minutes, and continuing to stew it until it is tender. Don't rely on the label time of 45 minutes as an absolute. How long it take to become tender depends a whole lot on the pork itself. 

Hope it works out! 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

3 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

thank you both.....I hope what I make looks like the picture on the soup pouch.

You're welcome. More important than how it looks is how it tastes! 

Please return and let us know the results.