Chinese-Forums

Advantages of paying with foreign currency?

Xander

Quote:

150Y as an individual is high, I feel, particularly if you can pay in foreign currency,….

I was wondering what kind of advantages I may have when using foreign currency to pay tuitions lessons or buying stuff at the marked? Are Dollars or Euros better? How much money can I bring to China?

Thanks, love this forum

Back in that topic I was assuming that the foreign currency had been requested and therefore might give some extra room for negotiation. Generally speaking you won't get any advantage from offering foreign currency, and you'll probably waste plenty of time negotiating the exchange rate as well as the price.

If you're looking for private tutoring, aim at the 20 RMB / hour level. Perhaps more if your instructor has some experience.

The easiest place to find a tutor is by looking at the bulletin board at the BCLU library cafe. Alternately write up an advertisement in English and stick it on any bulletin board near a university. If anyone offers anything over 40 RMB, you should run, not walk to find someone else. It is a sign they are trying to cheat you and play off of your ignorance, and that's a good sign that any education they'll give you will be junk.

Save your foreign currency for times you'll need it.

Is there something missing here? The thread appears to start with a reference to an earlier posting than #1.

Incidentally, I believe it is technically illegal to pay in foreign currency. But then again, many things are technically illegal. Mahjiang!